TN: 2005 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia

• 2005 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (1/25/2022)
    A year and a half ago I thought this would need a lot more time. Now it seems more ready to go than any other recent Tondonia. Still showing plenty of that dusty cherry fruit as well as the leathery, herbal accents, but it has gotten notably softer on the back end, and drinks quite well. Not so long ago it had more of a bite. I doubt it is going anywhere soon, but if someone wants to open a recent LdH Reserva this would be a good choice.

Posted from CellarTracker

6 Likes

I found the 2008 Tondonia pretty drinkable a couple of months ago.

And I had the 2010 Bosconia on Friday, which was lovely – quite Burgundian, with bright reddish fruit and good acidity. Really a pleasure. And with lots of years ahead of it.

1 Like

Thanks for the data point - have been sitting on a mag of the 2004 wondering when to pop it.

The 2004s have seemed more structured to me. I am holding my 2004s, 750s and mag.

Thanks

Thanks for the data point. Where does the 2005 stand vis a vis 2004, 2006, 2008? i have a stash of all of them and haven’t opened one it a while…

All of these wines seem to be 90/91 on Cellar Tracker. I have tasted six of these wines and like but don’t love them. La Rioja Alta are much better for the money in my opinion.

All still young, but the 2005 is much more ready than 2004 and 2006 IMO. I haven’t had the 2008.

1 Like

The 2001 is in a sweet spot now

1 Like

FWIW I have a jealously guarded stash of 2005 Bodegas Muga Rioja Gran Reserva Prado Enea that is really excellent right now.

Somehow I drank most of my old vintages of rioja, with a few exceptions (1996 Fernando Remírez de Ganuza Rioja Reserva).

Appreciate that info. I have some, and will check in soon-ish.