Arnoux-Lachaux Les Suchots in the US?!

Hey gang

Does anyone know a source for finding this wine in the US?

I am looking for 1999, 2005, 2009, 2010, and 2015.

It seems there isn’t even a bid/ask on Wine-Searcher and not sure what these cost/valued today?

Thanks!
Mike

prices have gone crazy; $500 would be a deal today. And availability has plummeted.

My guess is availability is quite good…In your cellar!

Since 2012 or so when Charles Lachaux took over both the quality and the prices have risen dramatically. Views on his father’s wines differ, so they’ll be cheaper, if you can find them. The production was never huge though, so they’re not all that easy to purchase.

pre Charles pricing is still “normal” which is mostly what he’s seeking.

They really weren’t nice at all before the current regime. I’m very much looking forward to the 2017 Echezeaux tomorrow night, my first taste of the new version.

1 Like

2018 label change or bust, brah!

But really, let us know your impressions [cheers.gif]

Wasn’t the Arnoux Suchots generally thought to be the best one made before 2012? This board is littered with good notes on vintages from the 1970s through 2010.

The grandfathers’s wines were great. The father’s wines provoke more mixed feelings. I had them next the Hudelot-Noellat side by side several times, and they always came off worse.

That’s wild. The suchots were awesome by Robert.

1 Like

Yes. Arnoux has been considered a superb producer for generations, both under Robert Arnoux and Pascal Lachaux, and I’d never once heard anyone contend otherwise until the hype about the recent ‘improvements’ began. They may well be amazing improvements and have crossed the line from superb to transcendent (I will never find out) but this Orwellian bit where we’re supposed to memory-hole decades of consensus just to support the new narrative is very annoying.

4 Likes

Last time I got offered suchots was the 2016 vintage. It was not so expensive but quantities for me had been cut pretty significantly over the years. The prices are now of course very high and the 2014 is being offered by Fine + Rare for well over $1000 per bottle. It’s been there for a while and it’s important to remember that is the price at which it doesn’t sell, so who knows what the clearing price is, but it’s high. As an aside I opened both the 2019 Bourgogne Pinot Fin and the 2019 Vosne Hautes Mazieres over the weekend. The former is an impossibly dense and fruity Bourgogne - one of those matter-swallowing black hole burgundies but no oak at all and already showing a good bit of complexity and nuance. I would say that the potential is limitless. The vosne was inscrutable and grumpy and wouldn’t make me rush out to buy more.

People having different opinions isn’t Orwellian. I’m quite certain neither Tom Blach nor I are surreptitiously rewriting our former praise for Pascal’s wines in the service of the Charles party line. Perhaps we just formed our own opinions after drinking the wines rather than adhering to a supposed consensus of which I was never even aware.

Excited to see your notes, please post in WB if you do not post on cellartracker. Bought a couple of these and excited to see how these turn out. I also have the 2005 but that is a totally different beast.

No reference was intended to you or Tom. Tom knows his Burgundy and nobody doubts he has a well-considered basis for all of his opinions that go against the grain, which may include a dislike for Arnoux. And you just don’t like wine, so I’m not surprised to learn you don’t like Arnoux either. As for the rest of the peanut gallery spreading the “Arnoux’s finally improved after all these years!” meme, you are Orwellian tools who know full well that you’d never have dared start an “Arnoux sucks” thread on this board 10 years ago because everybody would have written you off, rightfully, as someone with zero Burgundy cred.

Fwiw 93 Arnoux Suchots in 2006 was quite fine but really still too young.

This made me smile, on a thread where I said that Charles and his grandfather’s wines are great. Now THAT is Orwellian. But I had no idea Burgundy was so much about cred and saying the right things rather than actually drinking the stuff.

Okay, so we found some wine that you do like! That’s great. If they managed to meet even your approval, that just confirms that detractors were few and far between.

1 Like

Some of us have been skeptical of pre-Charles Arnoux for a loooong time.

I wouldn’t even say they were not good, despite my hyperbole, they were just more oaked and extracted than I prefer. I’ve only had a couple of newer Arnoux-Lachaux wines and Charles Lachaux wines. Generally beyond my pay grade, but I preferred them.

But sure memory hole, whatever.

1 Like

Opened an 85 Arnoux vosne for the superbowl, was delicious. Only got better as the night went on

1 Like