Napa tasting trip. Pride, Spottswoode, Beta-Jasud, Rivers-Marie, Robert Craig, O'Shaughnessy, Neal, Chappellet

This is my first extensive trip report so apologies if I ramble but its also my first time out wine tasting since 2019. I got to spend 3 full days in Napa and one partial day in early February. This trip came together on short notice and was a mix of wineries I personally buy from and others my father in law had trade tastings setup for.

Day 1 - Our first stop was to Pride Mountain Vineyards. I was the driver this day and wasn’t able to take any pictures on the way up Spring Mountain Road. The scars from the Glass Fire are still heavy heading up the mountain. There were road crews installing new guard rails and what struck me most was they weren’t using wood posts to anchor the guard rail into the hillside. They were using only steel as the wood posts burnt in the fire. You can still see some of the old rail that hasn’t been discarded along side the road on the way up and down the hill. Needless to say it is very sobering to see this in person even 15-16 months after the fact. There are lots of trees that have been cut down and removed or still along side the road.

Pride Mountain is unique in that it sits in both Napa and Sonoma Counties. They have a sign that straddles the county line and the ground is marked Napa on one side and Sonoma on the other. They literally have to keep two sets of accounting books for each county and if I remember what our host Mark told us, they report to the feds and not to the state because of the complexities involved with liquor laws for the multi-county operation.

There will be some 20 reds from Pride. Its been almost 3 weeks from my trip there so going off my memory I recall them saying there will be a 20 Cab Franc but not sure what other reds they may bottle.

We tasted their 20 Chardonnay, 19 Vintner’s Select Merlot (I bought 3 bottles), 19 Syrah, 19 Merlot, 19 Cabernet, 18 Reserve Cabernet, 18 Claret & the Viognier dessert wine (bought a bottle).

The 18’ vintage from Pride is softer than 19. 19 cab was high in tannins but appears to have legs to last long term. 18’ reserve cab was lighter and softer. We typically buy the Cab Franc and Merlot each year from Pride. Good stop and our host Mark was fantastic with the tour

Stop 2 for us was at Spottswoode. I had a special request to have Beth Novak Milliken & Aron Weinkauf available to visit with us during our tasting. We toured the barrel rooms and talked about the 20 vintage as well as 21 vintage, both currently in barrel as we drank the 20 Sauvignon Blanc. Spottswoode says they harvested the 20 vintage days before the Glass Fire started. 20 is going to be a small vintage from them. They also stated due to the drought that 21 will also be a smaller vintage.

When we were done with the tour, we headed back our our tasting. We had a 2018 Lyndenhurst, 2018 Estate Cab and a bottle I brought to share, their first vintage; an 82’ Cab for their 40th anniversary. I have to say I was extremely nervous bringing a 40 year old bottle I purchased several years ago at auction and requesting time with Beth and Aron. We ended up with the rest of the wine making team as well. The 18 Lyndenhurst was drinking very well and is a solid 2nd wine from Spottswoode. The 18’ Estate Cab is an absolutely tremendous wine and is their 4th 100 point vintage in a 5 year span (15, 16, 18 and 19). The 2nd glass of the Estate Cab was MUCH better than the first and great evolution with air. This wine was floral and will need lots of years to fully mature.

We opened the 82 with a Durand, popped and poured and it was ready to go immediately. This is one of 2 vintages Spottswoode made with 100% cab (83 is the other). The wine is fully tertiary and a flawless bottle. It was neat to talk with Beth about the history of the winery and how her mom would hand write some of the older labels (zinfandel).

By the way Spottswoode should have their 19s release the first week of March. Based on what I heard, I anticipate a small price bump.

Stop 3 - Louis Martini. We tasted nothing exceptional here. We booked with them because they were nearby and they’re open late. Most of their wines we tasted were from sourced from Monte Rosso.

Day 2 - First stop, Beta-Jasud. I saw Rohit’s post https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/soul-searching-in-napa-beta-jasud-roy-piper-detert-elyse-diamond-creek-favia-opus-gargiulo-among-others/176662/1 on his visit to see Ketan and made sure I got the skinny on the directions up here. Same as Day 1, the scars of the Glass Fire run deep going up Diamond Mountain Road. This is not what I would call a very well traveled road heading up, even less so once you pass the fork. When we turned into Ketan’s driveway, it was all gravel and as we turned around the hillside he had a frontloader widening the driveway. We had to wait for the frontloader to clear out before we made our way up the hill. This is not an easy drive if you have a car. I would recommend an SUV or truck if you are going to make this trip. These roads are also one car wide with two way traffic if you catch someone else on the road at the same time.

When we finally pulled into the gravel lot in the middle of the Jasud Estate vineyard, we were met by Ketan and 1 other (I think his name is Wade). They had bread and cheeses for us with a glass of their Moon Mountain chardonnay. We walked around the vineyard talking about how he started, his struggles to get to where he is now, losing 40% of his vines in the Glass Fire and then showing us his baby vines and explaining his farming techniques and why this project is going to be different.

Ketan has 60,000 wood posts staked with vines on his rolling Diamond Mountain estate vineyard.

I attached several pictures and even with these posted I don’t think the pictures can capture what Ketan has started for himself. The vineyard has some drastic elevation changes from the upper portion of the vineyard that comes downhill, wraps around the center portion of the vineyard up against a tree line that shades certain sections and then curls around the mountain facing down toward the valley.

As we’re discussing his vineyard what immediately comes to mind for me is the fact that he will very likely have different micro-climates within the vineyard. Ketan smiles and explains that hopefully that will eventually happen but the vines are too young for him to be able to experiment with that just yet. He feels that over time he will absolutely be able to put together bottlings of different sections of his vineyard.

The vines are all 100% cabernet, own rooted and dry farmed. Ketan is not going to setup a trellis system like you see with the cabernet vines on the valley floor. In his words, he wants the terroir to speak for itself and not be the same ripe sensation that you get from most Napa vineyards. He explained how grapes can be at the top of the vine in full sun and another cluster can be covered by leaves and that gives you different characteristics and what he wants to bring is old school Napa cab back and not the same ol same ol.

We got back to the tasting area, and by the way let me explain this in clear detail. This is all outdoors. There is no tasting facility. There is no bathroom. There is a porta potty if you need to go. He has a picnic table they used for the vineyard workers and I was keen to spot his BBQ setup with a blackstone and I want to say a smoker as well. They fired up the blackstone for taco’s for lunch during our tasting. Ketan is actively in the vineyard and hard to get a hold of via email. I would call the tasting setup less than ideal in its current format. If you want a classic Napa setup for tasting, this is not for you. Given the weather we had, it was beautiful and we had no issues being outdoors. In fact, had we not had Rivers-Marie booked afterwards we would have stayed up there with Ketan all day. He was extremely gracious with his time, pouring his wines and explaining his philosophies and just BS’ing in general.

They had waiting for us in a Yeti cooler 5 reds to try, all Beta label. 12, 17 and 18 Monticello, 18 Vare and 18 Maus. Here are my notes: 12 Monticello, drinking damn damn good. We got up there at 10:30 AM and left right before 1 PM, we actually were about 10 minutes late for Rivers-Marie. They opened these wines in the early AM prior to our visit to try and get some air into the bottles. 17 Monticello, different profile than what I was expecting after starting with the 12. Very good drinking but this is one to lay down. Let me also be the first to note that I like to age ALL of my cabs 10+ years. 18 Monticello had brighter fruit than the 17 did, this may be a vintage variation. The 17 Vare showed excellent character. This is another one to lay down and get some age on so it can expand on its profile. The surprise for us on our stop was the 18 Maus. This is a vineyard close to Monticello on the Sonoma side of Veeder. This was actually the best drinking wine out of the bunch. My exact notes I wrote on my iPhone say, “Buy the ever living shit out of this wine.”

Ketan is trying to get a micro-winery permit for his vineyard to have a better tasting setup. He’s poured an undeniable fortune into what will be Jasud Estate. I love his story starting from scratch and after spending close to 3 hours with him, he has a customer as long as I am able to purchase and buy wine.

Stop 2: Rivers-Marie. Fortunately for us, RM is fairly close to Jasud Estate once you get down the mountain. We had Emily waiting for us with 5 glasses of wine. The tasting room is right off 29 and is still brand new. I remember seeing it under construction on one of my last Napa trips in late 2019 so I am going to guess this opened during Covid.

We started with the 20 Bearwallow Chardonnay (1 in our group took some home). We had a glass of Aston Estate pinot noir, 19 Panek (very soft, needs time to evolve), 19 Herb Lamb (way too young for me) and 19 Calistoga (amazing drinking young, I bought a few bottles).

Will popped in during our tasting to say hello and was kind enough to open up 2 additional bottles. 1 happened to be a TRB 100 pointer (we took 1 bottle home) and another was one of Will’s William and Mary. The William and Mary is VERY nice.

Herb Lamb will be a few years before they are able to produce more wine. There will be no 2020 Cabs from Rivers-Marie. 21 is looking very strong vintage wise.

Unfortunately being a few minutes late we had to rush out as they had another group after us. It was great to finally visit Rivers-Marie, to meet Will and Frank and get to drink the wines.

Stop 3 - St. Supery. We drank a mixture of 16-19 Dollarhide and Rutherford cabs. The tasting was outdoors. Nothing grabbed me during this tasting but the wines are still nice. Hard to compare wines after drinking Beta and Rivers Marie.

Day 3 - First stop, Robert Craig up on Howell Mountain. I have to note that going across the valley to Howell Mountain and seeing the scars of the Glass Fire going up Deer Park Road is just so heartbreaking. Barren hills and cut trees just like I described going up Spring Mountain Road.

We were hosted by Scott who had chardonnay waiting for us on arrival. It was cool and windy for our AM tasting. We got to drink through the 17 Spring Mountain, 17 Diamond Mountain, 17 Estate Merlot, 16 Howell Mountain, 16 The Stick and 15 Robert’s Block (sorry Elton [cheers.gif] ). The 15 Roberts Block is just epic wine. May have taken 2 of these home. 17 Spring Mountain is drinking very well. 16 Howell Mountain also drinking good. We got to barrel sample the 21 Howell Mountain. So far so good. They feel that the 21’ vintage will be similar to the 13 vintage.

It sounds like they will not have a Diamond Mountain bottling after the 19 vintage. The lease was not renewed and unsure if they will find another source.

Stop 2 - O’Shaughnessy. Same as the other mountain wineries, lots of fire scars surrounding the property and sobering to see what these folks had to live through and rebuild from in 2020.

Bob was our host for our stop and we started with one of Sean Capiaux’s pinots he makes for his own label. We toured through the caves and their library.

We got to taste the 18 Napa Valley, 18 Howell Mountain, 18 Veeder and 18 Merlot. The Napa Valley is in a good spot. The 18 Veeder is extremely powerful and needs time to lay down but is going to be a VERY good bottle of wine in time. The 18 Howell Mountain had us perplexed. It did not have the typical Howell Mountain profile. My father in law commented after we left that he thought it was flat or watered down. I do not want this comment to be controversial or accusatory but the wine just tasted off to us and is not what we are accustomed to tasting from O’Shaughnessy. We finished with the 18 Merlot. I really like this wine from O’Shaughnessy and think it will be solid with lots of years sideways.

Our last stop on Day 3 was at Neal Family Vineyards. I was actually really thrilled to be at our 9th stop in 3 days and had only purchased maybe 8 bottles of wine up to this point. That discipline to not over purchase was shattered at Neal.

We toured through the caves, the wine making area and their bottling line before settling in for tasting. They were fortunate to have the fire not burn through their property. The fires came within 30 feet.

We drank the 16 Napa Valley (I bought 3), 17 Rutherford Dust, 16 Howell Mountain (I bought 3) and their second label One and Only 14. The 16s were very impressive. I have liked Mark Neal’s wines and have not been a huge buyer and probably should have been. As we were talking with our host, he gave us access to their library and I ended up leaving Neal with 7 magnums out of Mark’s library dating back to 2002. The library is open for business if you can get them to part with the bottles.

Day 4, Last stop for me Chappellet.

Pritchard Hill is beautiful. The pictures do not do this place justice. They have a beautiful estate winery. We toured with Christian who took us for a walk through the big barn and back into the vineyard drinking chardonnay, Apple Lane pinot noir and then returning to our tasting spot amongst the barrels to drink the 18 Cab Franc (no price change for 19, great promise but needs lots of time), 18 Signature Cab (still too young to drink) and the 19 Hideaway Vineyard (WOW! Buy this wine if you get the chance).

I asked several questions as there was a thread recently about the price increase for the 19 Signature. There will be price bump for the 19. They have not released it winery direct yet but it has been sent to their distribution channels. They cited cost of business, materials, gas cost increases as they own all of their equipment, wages, etc. Not all bottlings are going up in price. Signature Cab, Las Piedras and Pritchard Hill will see price increases.

There will not be a 20 Pritchard Hill release. I do not remember what they said about 20 Signature Cab and I don’t want to misquote what we were told.

For the Mountain Cuvee, this is their largest bottling. They make 20,000 cases annually. The signature cab is around 8,000 cases annually. The Mountain Cuvee was renamed between 08-10 to Cervantes and then reverted back to Mountain Cuvee as it had already established itself and the name change was confusing. The Cervantes name was for the surveyor who surveyed Pritchard Hill way back when. His maps are used on the Hideaway Vineyard label. Mountain Cuvee is a restaurant and distribution bottling only.

They source cab from Wells Ranch (part of their estate on Pritchard Hill named after one of Molly’s sisters), Stagecoach and Atlas Peak fruit as well as young Prithcard Hill

That is a wrap on my Napa trip report. I was blown away by Beta and Ketan’s hospitality. I am really looking forward to that release next week. Spottswoode continues to crank out great Napa cabs. The price increases will make this tough to continue buying in quantity but this is great juice. I hope these pictures uploaded correctly.

39 Likes

Really awesome tasting notes and my parents love Pride Mountain Vineyards. It’s their favorite winery.

Planning to visit Rivers-Marie in June and this is even making me more excited!

1 Like

Great notes - thanks. Where did you dine? Any great recs?

1 Like

Great write up. Thank you. We visited there last October and tasted at Rivers Marie and Chappellet. Your report makes me want to plan another trip.

1 Like

Fantastic report, Jeff.

2 Likes

Great notes and great pictures, Jeff! Thank you for posting them.

2 Likes

Incredibly helpful, thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the great notes. I was looking for something to open tonight, looks like I will go with one of two ‘19 RM Calistoga and cellar the other one. A ‘16 I had recently could have aged longer.

1 Like

Great trip report! Mark took care of us at Pride last year when we went, one of the most informative tours we’ve ever done. Wines were fantastic, beautiful property. Thanks for sharing, we are going back in 2 months, can’t wait!

Great report, thanks for taking time to type up and share! Chappellet was our first visit ever in Napa and will always have fond memories of that place!

1 Like

Thanks for a great report. I appreciate the pictures. So happy you were able to experience Ketan’s world!

2 Likes

Great set of wineries…must have been special to drink the Spottswoode 82 with the Spottswoode team.

2 Likes

Jeff thank you for the notes, great report! I am headed to Napa in a couple of months and hope to visit Ketan, been on the list from the start, not not sure my fellow visitors know enough in advance to invest the time for the visit… Also great to see O’Shaughnessy as a stop, doesn’t get much mention here but i think the Mt Veeders 10+ years post vintage are exceptional.

Thanks agin for taking the time for such a detailed post!

2 Likes

You know, I was going to post dinner info but didn’t want to bog down what was already going to be a long post. We ate at Rutherford Grill, Mustards and Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch. Rankings wise I would slot Mustards top of those 3 meals, then Farmstead and Rutherford Grill. We typically grab sandwiches for the day at Genova’s in the early AM and throw them in a cooler.

I have to admit I was really nervous the bottle would be shit. I got to spend a little time with Beth and Aron at their Garden Party in 19 and with the assistant wine maker Molly at a Spottswoode tasting at Hi-Time before Covid. The bottle of 82 was flawless and drank really good with no decant. Beth actually took out her cell phone to jot down notes on the bottle. When I was at the Garden Party a few years back they noted how they only had a very small amount of 82 in their library and they would try to buy them at auction when they came up for sale. Ooops, I had been probably bidding against them for some of the old school bottles.

I asked Aron if they would ever do a 100% cabernet again and it didn’t sound like they would short term. I asked about the styles from the 82 to the current wine and he said you can’t replicate the style because it is on the old rootstock, which has since been all ripped out.

I really like O’Shaughnessy’s wines. The Veeder is hard to get unless you sign up for the wine club so I typically only buy the Veeder when we come for tastings. I have a few older Veeder’s I snagged off K&L a few years back and am going to hold them to try and get 15+ years on them. I would put their Napa Valley cab at the $75 price point as one of the real well priced deals for NV label cabs, which is a blend of Howell and Veeder fruit.

I would plan at least a half day with Ketan. The man is so passionate about his vineyard and he will be extremely gracious with his time and the information he shares. Probably best to visit with him while the weather is still some what cool as again you will be outdoors the entire time. He said he hasn’t decided what to do with his 19 Jasud Estate release but based on what he shared I would guess he will do magnums only like he did for the Piko Vineyard release he had. Sounds like he may have more releases from Piko down the road too.

1 Like

Jeff, right now, we’re tentatively visiting William & Mary, Neal Family, and Robert Craig in one day, with Di Costanzo and O’Shaugnessy as a maybe. Is 4 wineries too much? And if you had to pick between Neal,
O’Shaugnessy, and Robert Craig, which would you make the priority?

1 Like

Speaking of O’Shaugnessy, I just had a bottle of the 2012 Mt Veeder last week, which I had purchased at the winery on a visit back in 2016. The wine was singing, and probably had many years of life left. I’d highly recommend O’Shaugnessy for both the wines and the overall experience of the visit (huge caves and don’t miss seeing the owner’s private collection).

2 Likes

Cool!

1 Like

I would say 4 wineries is doable but you have to start at 10 am and be on a strict schedule. Howell Mountain takes some time to get up and down to and from. Are you doing Robert Craig at the estate or at their tasting room in downtown Napa? A lot of scheduling your tastings also depends on the winery time slots for tastings and availability. I would have some plan B wineries just in case you need a back up winery.

When we do tastings we like to minimize drive time between AVAs so we can maximize our experiences and not feel rushed. Many of your hosts will extend additional wines to taste if you are a long time customer when you are done tasting what they had out to start with.

We weren’t able to get together with Erin Di Costanzo this trip for a tasting. Next time up I will reach out to her first to get them scheduled.

Picking between Neal, O’Shaughnessy and Craig; Craig will be the easiest to book with because they have their Napa tasting room in addition to the estate on Howell Mountain. The estate tasting room is only open certain days of the week and the Napa tasting room should be open every day.

O’Shaughnessy has a beautiful facility. Their caves are utterly gorgeous, great winery views as well. The tour through their library is special. They have quite a few historic Napa first vintage bottles as well as almost every winery from Howell Mountain and other wineries from around the globe. You will geek out when you see their stash of wine.

Neal has more wine to taste then O’Shaughnessy does if that matters to you. I guess the difference between the two is mostly all mountain fruit from O’Shaughnessy v some estate Rutherford Dust that Neal makes. Neal also has their second label and the wines were very, very good.

We did Craig, O’Shaughnessy and Neal in one day and had no time for anything else after, all on Howell Mountain. Had we been on a tighter schedule we could have got a 4th winery in. We talked about possibly visiting Red Cap when doing our planning but made sure we gave ample time for our stops.

1 Like

We will probably end up sticking to 3 unless theres a timing miracle. If we do Robert Craig, Id prefer the mountain experience. While we’re looking for great wines first and foremost, I’m trying to put my wife in environments she enjoys so we’re not bumping from tasting room to tasting room.

I hope Di Costanzo ends up being doable, if it is we’ll probably start with WM, then DiCo, then Neal, RC, or O’Shaugnessy. I really want to spend some time on the mountain, otherwise I’d stick to Calistoga/St Helena and try to hit 4 wineries.

I’d recommend you start on the mountain first and work your way down, but that all depends on the winery time slots available.

2 Likes