TN: 2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Fir Crest

• 2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Fir Crest - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (3/7/2022)
    Opened for a Zoom call with Marcus and Megan, I took a quick sip, and then gave the wine about 3 hours of air (but did not decant) before pouring a full glass.

I do love the color of the Goodfellow Pinots, as with this bottle they are often they are a luminescent ruby, giving off visual energy. That is followed by an aromatic combination of crisp red fruit, floral tones and fresh herbs. That combination is reflected on the palate, but it has a finely layered effect. I initially described it as “mille feuille”, but later on I arrived at “mica” as the layers are nearly clear, one to another. It’s a fascinating sensation that was initially tough to get my head around. There is notable tannin in the wine, so with its depth of fruit there is plenty of room for at least mid-term aging. Some of the layers may fuse together over time, making for a more cohesive sense to the wine, but I am very happy that I caught it at this early stage.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like