Franny Beck / Our Wines - anything and everything

Let’s have a place to share the love.

Have purchased FB a few times, big fan, and just pulled a cork on the berserkerday purchase. Sweet Jesus.

Notes to follow.

1 Like

Still awaiting my BD purchase but did receive my 2017 Our Wines Pinot Noir today.

• 2017 Our Wines Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (4/11/2022)
    Popped 2hrs after UPS drove off. My Altzheimers is kicking in tonight so I’m short on descriptors. Old World nose, New World fruit, lip smacking good with some grip on the backend. Dava gave me a thumbs up. Glad I bought the case.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

I planned to split a case of 2018 Blue Label with a wine buddy. The wine arrived last week, and I popped one open. Let’s just say my buddy is only getting 3 bottles…

1 Like

Popped a 2015 WV (“Blue Label”) to celebrate the arrival of the BD wines. No need to hurry but in a beautiful place with cherries, cranberries, hint of spice and a touch of orange peel I seem to consistently find with Franny Beck. Everything balanced and a weightless palate. So good!

Just received my BD order from this year!

I am curious, what is the stylistic breakdown between the Blue Label, East & West, and the vineyard designates? All are priced the same, thus I assume are approached as qualitative equals. Presumably there is a different goal for the blended wines vs SV cuvees.

Yeah, I absolutely love the 2015 Blue Label. I just bought the last 3 cases in the cellar after burning through the better part of 3 cases in the last year.

I was very happy with the bottle I opened last night. great wine for the price. its on my buy again list for next year for sure

john

Michael has made some fairly detailed posts about that in the past. Personally I actually prefer the Blue Label blend because it tends to be more well rounded, but to each his own.

Just received my BD order. Loved the three I drank last year. Low alc. with a great deal of flavor.

I would also like to see more information on what makes each wine different. La Chenaie and Johan seems like single vineyard, but not available in 2018. We’re they blended with other Armstrong vineyard wines? It seems like their website needs an update.

Very good customer service from Michael Sterling on the challenges of shipping nowadays. Thanks!

Not that often I buy a case and think I screwed up and should have bought more. I’ll work my way through the vertical 17-20 and report back. Great start.

[Edit] getting lots of rhubarb on the palate as well.

• 2017 Our Wines Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (4/12/2022)
    Lightly colored and kirsch aromas. Cranberry on the attack, wow, good. More tart dark cherry at the finish. Some stem or oak provides the base. Lightly astringent and fine tannins. Really great.

Posted from CellarTracker

^^ Bought 2 cases (1 for me, one for a friend) and wish I doubled up.
Sampled a bottle today with some friends. Fantastic wine and QPR.

1 Like

Had the same one this weekend and agree 100% with this note

Opened one last night. Very nice P&P. Really shined after 30 min in the glass. Franny Beck is our household favorite.

We’ll, I guess I’m going to have to name a berserker day pack after Brig now. Happy to answer any questions on the wines.

Hey now…

I think you call it the BOGO, my wife uses that term all the time. Buy One Get One.

Except you just charge for two cases, which we’ll gladly pay, but it provides berserkers air cover when the spouse says “what, you bought two cases of Our Wine on berserkerday?”

No baby, it was a BOGO!

3 Likes

I once, at a dinner, asked a very proper and genteel Port wine maker how long a particular vintage should cellar. He answered “The rude answer is; How long is a piece of string? The polite answer is; We are still tasting it.”. This polite rebuke has stuck with me.

However, I still sort my cellar with consideration to a drinking window so I am forced to again ask the question.

For the “Our Wines” Pinot Noir vertical, what you consider a practal drinking window for the vintages 17 through 20? I am particularly interested in the ending date. I understand there are variables, but a gereal indication would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

No problems holding the '17 for 5 more IMHO. And then I’d reevaluate then. Lots of people don’t like the tertiary notes that come with age so YMMV.

I say enjoy it through it’s lifespan tasting along the way.

We just popped two Our Wines 2017’s with our Seder tonight. Both bottles were absolutely rocking. No formal notes since it was a big ole’ family dinner and lots of gibber gabbering about with everyone. Both bottles were drained quickly and everyone is attendance agreed to the quality and deliciousness.

That’s great. Happy Seder!

(Is that appropriate?)

1 Like