TNs: 2009 Aurelien Chatagnier St Joseph, Eric Rodez Cuvée des Grands Vintages

• 2009 Aurélien Chatagnier St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (23/4/2022)
    Finally got around to opening this after reading some positive reviews about this producer. An extremely charming wine that had great balance and pure, crystalline fruit. A little spice on the nose with a smoked bacon note that emerged with time. Not overdone for an 09, medium-bodied and the tannins had a nice, silky feel. I wish I brought this to the Syrah dinner last week as this is exactly what I look for in a northern Rhone. It was S$60 landed at auction for this, what an absolute steal. (92 pts.)
  • NV Eric Rodez Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée des Grands Vintages - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (23/4/2022)
    Lot 11-20. Similar to my previous impression of his dosage zero cuvee. Very rich, creamy feel to the wine with some red fruit, but it is definitely not a fruit-forward, easy quaffing champagne. Very ripe yet austere, I don’t think I quite get the style of Rodez’s wines. (89 pts.)

1 Like