TNss--Mike on Tour---April 23, Dinner in Cleveland with Close Friends

The 2nd day of the Tour saw me in Cleveland to have some true quality time with two of my best friends, Dave Smith and Andrea Corbett-Smith. Andrea and I have known each other since kindergarten and Dave and I since university. I “celebrated” the end of Passover with some homestyle Italian takeout–Lasagna in my case.

2019 Kutch Mendigo Ridge Pinot

This was my first try of Jamie’s new site and I was pleased. It is different, in a way I like, from the mainline 3 vineyards. Here, the nose and mouth are gentle and lilting and sweet with strawberries and some rhubab. The freshness quotient is nicely in play and, not austere or acidic, it has a gentle liveliness on the tongue. Glad I have more.

2019 Model Farm Staiger Vineyard Chard

I know the quality of the site and I know the quality of the winemakers, so I had fairly high hopes. The hopes were well-founded. First of 6 for me, I wouldn’t open these for at least 2 years, but everything I want out of Santa Cruz Chard is here for me–great lemon-lime conversation with a rub of talc and all with near-thrilling acidic carry. At the back end, some light oak backbreathe and a whisper of almond as well. There is promised complexity not coming out yet. Rewarding experiences are coming.

This was another day with friends on a trip that is already restoring my soul

Haere Ra

Mike

2 Likes