TN: 2001 Château Sociando-Mallet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)

• 2001 Château Sociando-Mallet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (4/25/2022)
    Opened and aired for 90 minutes, but not decanted. This is classic Bordeaux. Pencil shavings, cassis and a little bit of the expected Sociando bell pepper, it’s exactly what I expect from this wine, and exactly what I want from it. This is old school. Drink now, or wait ten years and get even more of what it is.

Posted from CellarTracker

My favorite vintage of Sociando. Great note!

About two years ago, MarcF and I found 18 more bottles of this from one source, which we split. I think I have one left, was drinking it like Koolaide over Covid!

1 Like

Robert — shared a mag of this in your home state Easter weekend, and I agree it was rocking. 2001 SM was very bdx, not to be confused with something like the 03, which, while also delicious, seemingly could have been from anywhere…

Wonderful Bordeaux indeed. Have a few bottles left. And it´s true. Pencil shavings like a great Pauillac.

Totally disagree on the '03 tasting like it could have been from “anywhere.” It’s still clearly Bordeaux.

1 Like

SM 01 has become the wine I have drunk the most! I keep on going back for more - must be on case 5 by now. The consistency is really impressive and there are no signs of fading yet.

Wow Julian
I never have drunk 5 cases of any wine. Amazing
How is this gem compared to Cuvee Gautreau?

Haha, he’s the boss! I’m a peon, only about two cases. I’d buy more, this wine has distance. The 2001 JG Cuvee is amazing, it and the 1995 are the two best that I have had.

Neither had I!! I didn’t realise until I looked this afternoon before posting - I thought it was no more than 3, which is already bad enough. I have one every few months and keep going back for more. It’s the best SM for current drinking and for me one of the best ever. Plus the price never changes.

The Gautreau 01 is even better - I’m a conservative scorer - for me the 01 is a solid 93, whereas the 01 JG is a 96. I think most people would add at least one point if not two. The Cuvée JG 01 just has more of everything without losing the SM freshness.

You two have earned my respect with these notes. No graphite here! [cheers.gif]

John Morris

I even have an old, school style pencil sharpener in my basement.

Thanks Julian. I’m on my first case of 2001 Sociando
I have this special edition case of JG 1995-2006 but I think its too early to pick from it

Fair enough — I am blessed with a remaining 3L (!) of the 2003 and will give it a whirl soon for a reassessment. (And I might even share some of it!)

Love SM…had the 2k last night and it was rocking for a pop and pour…true old world funk…but I think the '01 is the better wine and was a steal on release…