This was the Friday evening gala dinner at Antonio Galloni's Vinous Media's La Festa del Piemonte 2022.
I sat at the Vietti table with Luca Currado and Elena Penna of the Vietti Winery.
The wines came one after another, so I have grouped them under the courses with which I tasted them. Where I know something about the decanting, I have included it. In most other cases, the wine was decanted just before the dinner or it was brought to the dinner already decanted. I have no way of knowing which.
Photos and more details can be found on my website.
- 2017 Champagne Christophe Baron Champagne Les Hautes Blanches Vignes Charly-sur-Marne - France, Champagne
From magnum. Pleasant, elegant. (90 pts.)
- 2012 Vietti Barolo Riserva Villero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
From magnum. Brought by Luca & Elena. Powerful primary nose of black and red fruit. Massively tannic with oodles of black fruit and spice. Still very young. A long and glorious future. 95-98 (96 pts.)
- 2001 Vietti Barolo Rocche - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
Brought by Luca & Elena. Ethereal nose of plums and blackberries. Rich and expansive. A wow wine with a super long finish. (98 pts.)
- 2011 Giacomo Borgogno & Figli Barolo Cannubi - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
Rich, juicy, backward. Not very expressive at this point. Needs time. (91 pts.)
- 1954 Vietti Barolo Riserva - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
[Brought by me. Double-decanted at 5pm.] Lovely nose of dark red fruits, tar, and mulch. Tart, juicy red fruit in the mouth with a long finish. A joy to share this wine with Luca and Elena since it was made by Luca's grandfather, Mario Vietti. (93 pts.)
- 2010 Vietti Barolo Brunate - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
From magnum. Brought by Luca & Elena. Still quite young and powerful. Rich and somewhat monolithic at this point. Will benefit from more time in the cellar. (94 pts.)
- 1937 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
No nose. Sour cherries. Long finish. A very good wine, but I can't believe it's really a 1937. Way too young.
- 1978 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Villero di Castiglione Falletto - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
Glorious from the get-go. Still opening up. Very long finish of black fruit and spice cake. Classic Giacosa. (95 pts.)
- 1980 Vietti Barolo Rocche - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
[Brought by me. Double-decanted at 5pm.] Smokey red fruit nose. Rich and still a bit tannic. Amazing wine for such a weak vintage. Has to be one of the top wines in 1980. (95 pts.)
- 1995 Gaja Barbaresco Sorì Tildìn - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
From magnum. Big bouquet of red fruit and chocolate. Still young and tannic, but enjoyable now. (94 pts.)
- 2011 Azienda Agricola Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
[From magnum. Brought over by Valter Fissore from the next table.] Gorgeous nose of fruit compote and spice. Elegant, complex, long. (95 pts.)
- 1982 Filippo Sobrero & Figli Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
[Brought by Anny Chen.] Beautiful nose of ripe apples and red berries. A stunning wine in beautiful shape. (94 pts.)
With Shared Sides: Sesame Spinach, Brussels Sprouts.
- 1974 Giuseppe Rinaldi Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
Earthy, balanced, complex. Probably at its peak. (93 pts.)
- 1958 Fratelli Barale Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
Lovely red fruit nose, but the palate reeks of barrel mold. (55 pts.)
- 1958 Francesco Rinaldi e Figli Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
Fragrant nose of dried red fruit and forest floor. Elegant. Medium length. No reason to hold. (92 pts.)
With Sea Salt Crackers & Gooseberry Jam
- 1998 Domenico Clerico Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
Brought over by Eric Guido. Lovely nose. Medium length. Nice. (90 pts.)
- 2007 Cappellano Barolo Piè Rupestris Otin Fiorin (Gabutti) - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
[From magnum. Brought over by Iggy.] Still quite young, but long and complex with rich berry fruit and tar. Long life ahead. (94 pts.)
- 1978 Poderi Aldo Conterno Barolo Colonnello - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
[Brought over by Josh Leader.] Beautiful, ripe cherries. Elegant and long. Just a gorgeous wine at its peak. (95 pts.)
- 2008 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne
[Brought over by Hristo Zisovski from Wilson-Daniels who was sitting with Valter Fissore.] Funny way to finish the evening, but I have to say this is a beautiful Champagne. Long, complex, and classy AF. (95 pts.)