TN: Gala Dinner at La Festa del Piemonte

GALA DINNER AT LA FESTA DEL PIEMONTE - The Pool Restaurant, NYC (4/1/2022)

This was the Friday evening gala dinner at Antonio Galloni’s Vinous Media’s La Festa del Piemonte 2022.

I sat at the Vietti table with Luca Currado and Elena Penna of the Vietti Winery.

The wines came one after another, so I have grouped them under the courses with which I tasted them. Where I know something about the decanting, I have included it. In most other cases, the wine was decanted just before the dinner or it was brought to the dinner already decanted. I have no way of knowing which.

Photos and more details can be found on my website.

Starter

First Course: Prosciutto with Mustard Fruits

• 2012 Vietti Barolo Riserva Villero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    From magnum. Brought by Luca & Elena. Powerful primary nose of black and red fruit. Massively tannic with oodles of black fruit and spice. Still very young. A long and glorious future. 95-98 (96 pts.)
  • 2001 Vietti Barolo Rocche - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Brought by Luca & Elena. Ethereal nose of plums and blackberries. Rich and expansive. A wow wine with a super long finish. (98 pts.)
  • 2011 Giacomo Borgogno & Figli Barolo Cannubi - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Rich, juicy, backward. Not very expressive at this point. Needs time. (91 pts.)

Second Course: Mushroom Risotto

• 1954 Vietti Barolo Riserva - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    [Brought by me. Double-decanted at 5pm.] Lovely nose of dark red fruits, tar, and mulch. Tart, juicy red fruit in the mouth with a long finish. A joy to share this wine with Luca and Elena since it was made by Luca’s grandfather, Mario Vietti. (93 pts.)
  • 2010 Vietti Barolo Brunate - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    From magnum. Brought by Luca & Elena. Still quite young and powerful. Rich and somewhat monolithic at this point. Will benefit from more time in the cellar. (94 pts.)
  • 1937 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    No nose. Sour cherries. Long finish. A very good wine, but I can’t believe it’s really a 1937. Way too young.
  • 1978 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Villero di Castiglione Falletto - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Glorious from the get-go. Still opening up. Very long finish of black fruit and spice cake. Classic Giacosa. (95 pts.)

Third Course: Ricotta Tortellini

• 1980 Vietti Barolo Rocche - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    [Brought by me. Double-decanted at 5pm.] Smokey red fruit nose. Rich and still a bit tannic. Amazing wine for such a weak vintage. Has to be one of the top wines in 1980. (95 pts.)
  • 1995 Gaja Barbaresco Sorì Tildìn - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    From magnum. Big bouquet of red fruit and chocolate. Still young and tannic, but enjoyable now. (94 pts.)
  • 2011 Azienda Agricola Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    [From magnum. Brought over by Valter Fissore from the next table.] Gorgeous nose of fruit compote and spice. Elegant, complex, long. (95 pts.)
  • 1982 Filippo Sobrero & Figli Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    [Brought by Anny Chen.] Beautiful nose of ripe apples and red berries. A stunning wine in beautiful shape. (94 pts.)

Fourth Course: Filet Mignon Florentine
With Shared Sides: Sesame Spinach, Brussels Sprouts.

Fifth Course: Robiola Cheese
With Sea Salt Crackers & Gooseberry Jam

Another wonderful evening with great wine, good food, and seeing old friends.

13 Likes

Thanks for the vicarious enjoyment Ken.

Hope you are well and I look forward to hopefully getting out your way some time soon.

T

1 Like

I didn’t go to the morning tasting because I knew you wouldn’t be there to fix my back. [cheers.gif]

Nice notes. Will be opening the 1971 and ‘79 Sobrero this weekend; will post notes.

Filippo Sobrero?

Yes.

1 Like

There were some extraordinary wines there, but I was not a fan of either Sobrero. Others liked them much more than I did, but they both were far more advanced and that faint expression of maderization is not to my taste. I have had much better bottles of the 1971.

1937 CONTERNO!! [swoon.gif]

1974 Rinaldi is a wine I hope to taste in my life at some point.

sounds like a wonderful event!