New to me (red) Burg Producers: H. Magnien, Amiot-Servelle, Marchand-Tawse

I’ve been trying new producers from Burgundy as old stalwarts are neither affordable nor available. Last week I did a mini-tasting of a few recent ones based on recommendations from the community and reviewers. Some notes:

Henri Magnien - strong recommendation from William Kelley, so I picked some up. These were excellent, ratings probably conservative. I will be looking for more of these in future vintages, hoping that the price doesn’t escalate too fast.

2020 Henri Magnien Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes.
Hello youthful fruit, and more fruit on the nose, with mostly red fruit - cherry, raspberry, strawberry perfume of red fruit. Red fruit on the palate, but bone dry, tart finish, good balance and richness. This is a very fine fruit forward red burgundy, well made and with some tannins to indicate age-ability. But right now an absolutely charming red fruited well made wine. No over ripe or oak notes. (91)

2020 Henri Magnien Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers. A very large step up from the village VV, more of mineral and earthy notes on the nose. Perhaps a little closed but plenty of red fruit as well. A deeper note on the palate though, longer, more intense. This is showing very well but has good bones. A breathtaking 1er. More balanced and richer nose on day two. Tasted on PnP, bury for a decade. (92)

I’ve seen Amiot-Servelle recommendations in a few places - both Burghound and Vinous (Neal Martin) if memory serves. I bought a few '15s but for some reason never opened them. Have to fix that. But:

2019 Domaine Amiot-Servelle Chambolle-Musigny Les Bas-Doix. A little wood on a ripe cherry nose, fruit starting to hide, perhaps a bit closed? Fine minerality on the palate with good length but quite a bit of tannins. A very fine Chambolle but perhaps already starting to shut down. I like it. (90)

Marchand-Tawse - yes, they’ve been around a while, but my first time trying one that I recall. For some reason I bought more than a few of 2019/2020.

2019 Marchand & Tawse / Pascal Marchand Gevrey-Chambertin. A potent Gevrey, of course young. Cherry and a bit of cola on the nose, showing ripeness, but not too ripe. The palate is convincing - more cherry, Gevrey earthy loam on the palate with good energy on the finish. Also somewhat tannic, this needs a few years. Very good village wine. (90)

A number of ppl have been pushing Henri Magnien lately. The one bottle of 17 cazetiers I opened was pretty oaky. I’m giving them another chance because they make a ruchottes I want to try.

Based on recommendations from the community, reviewers and…
:wink:

Indeed, I jokingly called this a mini La Paulee de Panzer. I very much appreciate that you bring these producers into the US!

1 Like

Picked up some H Magnien Ruchottes based on your post. Thanks!

Lucky to have gotten on the Magnien train early-ish a couple of years ago and now have an annual allocation including the Ruchottes. Can’t beat £152 a bottle.

Kyle smith was pushing these a couple years ago; still not convinced.

I liked them more than most new producers I try. But I’m not pushing. I totally sympathize with ‘I tried it once and didn’t love it’ especially when there are so many options out there. Taste and buy what you like!

1 Like

We’ll see, I still have a bit of their wines.

Really like Amiot servelle and Tawse though.

The Henri Magnien '20s are really really good.
I would have a hard time imagining a Burgundy lover NOT liking them.
I can’t judge anything beyond the '20s, though, not having tasted.

1 Like

I will dig through the cellar and find some to open; I think I still have some 17 Gevrey vv and cazetiers.

Oskin? Seems like there should be a ® symbol at the end of it.

Should’ve been oaky

The Magnien Ruchottes is indeed very very good.
It is the only Ruchottes that is from both the upper and lower portion of the vineyard, which have a marked difference, which one can easily recognize as the drop off between the two is several feet in height.

2 Likes

deadhorse I couldn’t find the bottles of h Magnien 17 cazetiers or Gevrey VV I have so I’m gonna open a bottle of 17 LSJ later tonight. Will report back.

2010 Amiot-Servelle Derriere la Grange was my Burgundy epiphany wine. Stunning.

The Amiot Servelle Derrière la Grange can be, in the best vintages, something approaching Grand cru complexity to me. It just has layers of flavor and complexity that can be blow away good. As there are so few producers of it, it remains a unicorn wine of sorts. Its physical location at the foot of the hillside would not inspire much to an onlooker, but it just has a hard-to-put-my-finger-on-it sense of class.

1 Like

A couple of relatively reasonably priced producers you might want to try as you continue your experiments are Pierre Amiot and Rossignol-Trapet.

I’ve only had the Louis remy wine from this vintage which wasn’t very good. The only Amiot servelle wine I have is a 10 CSD.

'06 Derriere la Grange was very good, but not great when I last had one in '19. Have bought on & off since the mid -00’s. Usually this and the Charmes have been decent value.
'19 Charmes was just released here for $205. Didn’t see the DLG offered but assume an extra $50-$60. I passed.

Have been buying MT since 2012 up & down the range, but mostly 1er.