TNs from last night: Rousseau, PYCM, Chevillon, Taittinger, Dom, etc

Fun night with a bunch of berserkers at noreetuh! I didn’t write down the complete list of wines or take formal notes, so I’m sure I’m missing a lot, so hopefully someone can fill in the details.

2013 PYCM Chassagne Montrachet Baudines

I completely understand Warren’s note, this does have a significant struck match on the nose, but it wasn’t obtrusive; at least for me. Beautiful white peach and lemon zest on the nose with a firmer core of flint like minerality than the st Aubin wines. Nice finish.

2012 Piper Heisdick

A bit overshadowed by what was to come, but nice. Seemed to lack body, but was pleasant enough.

My blind:

2017 Rousseau Gevrey Chambertin 1er Lavaux St Jacques

I think this was a tough blind for a few reasons, but I was impressed that Rodrigo B got the producer and vintage. I think everyone was surprised with the village when I was asked to reveal that. I think it was because it lacked typical producer signature; it didn’t have the typical Rousseau sappiness and density of fruit. That being said this was beautiful. Super pure and crystalline cherries on the nose, and zingy acidity and moderate weight on the palate, but a beautiful finish that lingered. Definitely will be better in a few years, but fun.

2013 Rousseau Clos de la Roche

WOTN for me, by a close margin over the 95 comtes. This was drinking spectacularly tonight although again a few years would have made it better. This was definitely Rousseau the second you smelled and tasted it. It had the characteristic sappiness and density of fruit, but was also clearly CDLR. I think this would’ve been a much easier blind than the 17 LSJ. The wine was just superb. Currants and earth, with just the right amount of acidity and a super finish.

Manon VDF

I didn’t write down the vintage but this was a very interesting wine. Aromatically it had more on the nose than the PYCM with exciting acidity and minerality but a sort of wildness to it that was very interesting. I’m not sure I would have even guessed this was chard if this was blind. The amount of flavor was intense. This may have been the most interesting wine of the night but I’m not sure I would want to drink more than one glass if that makes any sense.

Rodrigo’s blind:

2013 Chevillon NSG 1er Cailles

The sample I had of this was a bit cold and I didn’t get anything on the nose. After the reveal it opened up a bit and was nice but super tight. I think this needs 3-5.

2013 Chevillon NSG 1er Vaucrains

This was lovely. A bit more density of fruit than the Cailles but had some earth and rusticity that clearly put it in NSG, which is a good thing, I think.

2007 Chevillon NSG 1er Cailles

Some of this was time, some of it was temperature, but this was dramatically different than the 13. You got more of the earth and a hint of rusticity but mostly it was just beautiful. Not showy or flashy, but just delicious.

2000 Pierre Amiot CDLR

This felt a bit advanced for a 2000 or certainly completely mature. There were tertiary notes and more sweetness than I would have liked on the palate. That said it was clearly morey and CDLR and a honest version. It didn’t fare well in comparison to the Rousseau.

2007 Mugneret Gibourg Chaignots

This was a very pretty wine, with very nice pure red fruits and a very pleasant finish. I think it didn’t quite have the density of the 07 Chevillon but had a bit more polish and finesse.

2002 Dom Perignon P2

This tasted just like it did at the WS tasting last year; a bit of white flowers on tthe nose then just deliciousness. It felt young but not tight.

1995 Taittinger Comtes

This was drinking at or near peak but maybe stay there for awhile. I hadn’t had this in a few years but you get the toasty and bready notes along with beautiful citrus fruits and a welcoming palate. This was good to go the moment it was open.

1981 Chateau Montelena

Completely mature old school napa cab that may have been slightly past peak but drinking beautifully. No oak or flashiness and a bit of vegetalness on the nose. They don’t make it like this anymore.

2017 Laurent Ponsot Chambolle 1er Charmes

The label is futuristic as is the cork. The wine was pretty and aromatic. Lovely floral notes and softness on the palate that clearly put it in Chambolle. I’m not sure what to think of Laurent’s new venture but this felt clearly Chambolle snd clearly Ponsot. Tasted similar to the Chezeaux charmes.

There were a lot of other wines that I don’t remember the vintage or producer, 2005 Keller, Ulysse Colin, a whole cluster MSD, maybe someone has better notes on those.

Very fun to meet everyone and a great time!

6 Likes

The 2007 Cailles is extremely helpful. I keep eyeing one of mine.

I thought the 07s last night were all drinking beautifully. The Chevillon more than held it’s own in among some very good wines.

Thanks for the terrific TNs. I was introduced to Domaine Chevillon through the 07 Cailles and it has remained a favorite. Sampled my last bottle several months ago and it was exemplary, the best of six.

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks to all for their generosity. Terrific wines. My WOTN was the 13 Rousseau Clos de la Roche. My #2 was the 17 Rousseau Gevrey Chambertn LSJ. The 13 was perhaps younger and had slightly more depth. The 17 was in a great place, loved drinking it. Both had fantastic aromatics.

I’d guess more like 13-15 if it’s typical Chevillon. champagne.gif

1 Like

From my limited experience with Chevillon, I’m probably with Marshall. A 2002 Cailles a couple weeks ago still had room to grow. Looks like an amazing night, Michael. And I see Rodrigo took pity on you with a blind that wasn’t e.g. a spatburgunder (which was amazing!) :wink:

1 Like

13s have generally been starting to drink well. I thought the vaucrains was close.

Haha. I’m not usually one to bring mean blinds. I just had an inkling it’d be more interesting to try that particular wine without the prejudice of the label. Didn’t have any expectations on people guessing correctly.

Ooh forgot about the 96 faiveley corton charlemagne; it was interesting but was definitely advanced.