Wonderful Burgundy Dinner

This dinner was in the planning for over a month. Nikole, beverage director and somm at Del Frisco’s Steakhouse knocked it out of the park with the wine service. The kitchen also rocked with a custom menu that paired perfect with the wines.

Reception
2008 Taittinger Blanc de Blanc Comptes de Champagne
Paired with foie gras mousse on toast points with shallots
Chilled oysters with Taittinger Mignonette
Sasanian Siberian Baerii Caviar on potato, creme fraiche and dill

This continues to show a stunning level of depth and balance. Each sip makes your mouth water and leaves you begging for more. The best CdC I have ever tasted.

Premiere
2014 Domaine Bouchard Pere et Fils Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru
Paired with butter poached Chilean sea bass with ginger and lime roasted bok choy, pears, chervil and marcona almonds

Third time tasting this wine. Shows the great precision of the 2014 whites. Very precise and linear on the entry but then fills out on the floral palate with pit fruit and lime zest. Perfect match with the sea bass.

Deuxieme
2009 Domain Dujac Vosne-Romanee 1er Aux Malconsorts
Paired with sour cherry glazed Manchester Farms quail leg with caramelized fennel bulb and shitake mushroom

Possibly my favorite wine of the evening and certainly the most perfect pairing with the dish. The sour cherry glazed quail perfectly mimicked the bright cherry in this wine. Oh to have this in the cellar! Wonderful balance. Fine ripe tannins.

Troisieme
2016 Domain JF Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny Trente Deux
Paired with Spice and herb encrusted lamb lollipops with rose petal and blueberry compote

This is a one-off wine that Freddie produced in 2016. Due to hail damage it was made from the Les Plantes vineyard with a couple barrels of Musigny blended in. Rather rustic but again it paired well with the slight gaminess of the lamb.

Quatrieme
2013 Domain du Compte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanee Clos du Chateau
Paired with seasonal field greens and assorted root vegetables, Garrotxa goat cheese, roasted black walnuts and Gravenstein apple balsamic vinaigrette

Very floral offering dark fruits and spice. Seamless palate and finish.

Cinquieme
2009 Domaine Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin Grand Cru
Paired with classic beef Bourguignon with carrots, cipollini onions and porcini mushrooms served with creamy potatoes

Gosh I love this producer. This, I think, is their top wine. A large scaled but perfectly balanced wine. Long mineral driven palate. The richness of the Beef Bourguignon needed a wine of this stature. Fantastic!

Sixieme
1990 Chateau d’Yquem Sauternes
Served with an assortment of imported cheeses: Epoisse, St. Nectaire farmhouse style and Boule de Mimolette with sourdough baguettes

Epoisse and d’Yquem. What more can I say!

Thank you Mr. & Mrs. T and Mr. B for the wines.

5 Likes

I lover Bouchard’s whites. Precision and steeliness may I add.

Thanks for the TNs.

Thanks I have several bottles of the 2009 Dujac Malconsorts. It is so nice to see your note. Cheers Kelly!

1 Like

Super dinner and lovely brace of wines. Thanks for the evocative notes.

this is the menu at Del Friscos ? wow

They were fantastic working with us and were so happy to do something outside the normal menu. Giving them the opportunity to be creative and to be challenged worked amazingly.

2 Likes

Thanks Kelly,
Great lineup of wines and the food sounds terrific.

Hope all is well with you all.

Best,

T

That sounds like a fantastic evening. Great line up, and it’s neat to hear that the restaurant really opened up the playbook for the dinner.

1 Like

What a great list of wine. The Dujac is one of my favorite. I think it will get more complex with another 5 years. Thanks for the great notes.

Historically, my favorite CdCs have been the 1990 and 1996. Is the 2008 better? Not sure, but I certainly agree with your comments that it shows “stunning level of depth and balance” and that “Each sip makes your mouth water and leaves you begging for more.” Great note.

Agreed. This may be the most underappreciated white Burgundy producer.

I was going to ask the same thing. Awesome wines and awesome menu, Kelly. So glad this evening turned out so well for you and friends.

Having worked in and managed American steak restaurants I’ll tell you it is a thrill for the staff to branch out. Especially the chef.

Top wine? When tasting at the domaine, they still serve the Clos Vougeot last, right? neener

I love both, but I think the CV demands more time in bottle. I honestly haven’t had enough of the Ruchottes to have an opinion.

Great notes, lovely dinner. Thank you.

sounds like an amazing evening all around! food sounds like a great match and what a great wine lineup!

I hear ya. Having tasted multiple time at M-G you are correct but the Ruchottes always stands out for me. At Mugnier, Freddie always serves the Clos de Merachale last after the Musigny so I do not read too much into the tasting order.

Well done, Kelly.

Sounds like a great evening. Thanks for taking and sharing notes.