TN: Three Bedrock Cabs....(short/boring)

Had these three at our tasting at Pig+Fig a few weeks ago:

1. Bedrock CabSauv SonomaCnty (14.5%; BedrockVnyd + MonteRossoVnyd + Bedrock Merlot) 2020: Dark color; strong ripe blackcurranty/CS bit earthy/dusty/OV light toasty/oak quite attractive nose; bit soft strong ripe/blackcurranty/CS light toasty/oak flavor w/ light ripe tannins; very long soft/blackcurranty/CS juicy light toasty/oak finish w/ light tannins; a solid 4-square juicy CS at a very attractive price. $29.00

1. Bedrock CabSauvg MontecilloVnyd/MoonMtnDist/SonomaCnty (14.5%; 2 brls/500 btls; Taransaud T5 brls) 2016: Very dark color w/ little bricking; some cedary/pencilly strong blackcurranty/CS some toasty/smokey/oak slight herbal fairly complex nose; fairly tart/tangy rather blackcurranty/CS/slight herbal slight Bdx-like some toasty/oak light cedary/pencilly fairly complex flavor w/ modest chewey tannins; very long/lingering strong blackcurranty/CS/bit herbal strong toasty/oak slight cedary/pencilly some structured bit complex finish w/ some ripe/chewey tannins; has good structure & should go another 4-8 yrs; a strong juicy Cab that’s starting to show a bit of evolution. $85.00

1. Bedrock CabSauv MonteRossoVVnyd/MoonMtnDist/SonomaCnty (14.5%; Plntd: 1990’s) 2020: Very dark/near black color; very strong juicy/blackcurranty/CS/spicy/ripe some toasty/oak bit dusty/earthy some complex nose; fairly tart/tangy strong blackcurranty/CS/juicy/ripe slight herbal quite structured/rugged bit old-timey flavor w/ ample tannins; very long/lingering light dusty/earthy very strong blackcurranty/CS/slight herbal some toasty/oak ripe/juicy structured finish w/ ample rugged tannins; loads of structure & made for the long-haul; a bit old-timey Calif Cab that reminds some of young Mayacamas Cabs; badly needs age. $65.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. These are all three very solid Sonoma Cabs. I’m not a big Cab fan but I liked all three of these. They are pretty big & somewhat old-timey Calif Cabs in style. But you have to pay a premium to drink Bedrock Cab & the Bedrock Heritage reds represent much better values.
    Tom
3 Likes

I love the Heritage wines, and agree they are great value. But I don’t know any better QPR old-school Cabernets than Bedrock. I can afford them, and I love them, so I buy them.

I’m always open to learn other producers making cabs that rhyme with those made in the 70’s.

The Sonoma County cab is one of the best cab QPRs out there

Great notes!

Did you get the sense the 2020 Sonoma would reward aging? Or best to just drink young (which price point would suggest).

Well, Jeremy… it’s pretty much ready to go but may get more interesting with several yrs.
Tom

1 Like

I agree with the caveat that for me the wine tastes much more like a Bedrock wine than a Cabernet Sauvignon wine. Not that it’s a bad thing. I actually bought a fair bit of this because it was inexpensive and representative of the Bedrock house style, but it doesn’t quite scratch my Cabernet itch.

3 Likes

I was searching for a way to say this exact same thing - curious whether the single vineyard bottlings feel like a Bedrock wine first and a cab second as well.

The only one I have is the Monte Rosso, and I have not tasted it yet.

Great post, great thread!

Enjoyed reading the descriptions. I have been a big Bedrock buyer for many years. I think they are consistently great wines at a really good price. I started buying the Cabs because they seem a much better price compared to Napa Cabs. I have not had any yet, but I am fine with them tasting like Bedrock because Bedrock is good! I typically hold my Cabs for 7 years before drinking but might go pull at least the Sonoma and try. Thanks

Man, this thread has me eyeing a 2009 Bedrock cab. Was planning to hold for a while but it’s sounding really good right now!

Thanks for the notes Tom and the comments all!

Had a none wine geek friend open a Bedrock Zin last night! That was cool.