TN: 2008 Jacques Selosse Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Millésimé

Tight, structured and shy to begin with. It unfurls majestically in the glass to show notes of brioche, lemon curd, chalk, grilled nuts and cinnamon. It had superb detail and power, building through the palate and finishing with so much chalky dry extract and saline minerality. Wonderful to try now but several decades away from its eventual apogee.

1 Like

sounds amazing.

Completely agreed. A decant helps here but this is still tight and no reason to open it… unless you see it on a restaurant list for a below-market price and if you don’t, someone else will.

Interestingly, the 08 egly-ouriet on monday night was absolutely wide open whereas the vilmart cdc was clearly in need of a lot of time. Would love to see those 2 against the selosse, taittinger cdc, cristal, krug and dp 08 in another decade or so. I’d bet they’d all struggle vs the 08 cristal rose though.

As much as I would love to try '08 Selosse, I don’t see that happening any time soon. Thankfully Jeremy’s notes are so descriptive that I can imagine what it tastes like. It is a wonderful vintage and the '08 Cristal Rose is my favorite of the '08’s that I have tried. The '12 Cristal Rose might be even better, though.

I had this a few weeks ago and it wasn’t a terribly interesting wine on the palate. The nose had a lot more brioche than I usually get on Selosse and was more interesting. Most of us left some in the glass for the entire evening but it didn’t really evolve very much. We had an older Boloree and a Collin le Jardin next to it and both were significantly better (and just really good wines in general).

This obviously has no bearing on how good the 08 Selosse will be going forward, but I also don’t think most 08s are drinking all that close to their peak, with 08 Egly being an exception (a recent bottle at dinner was absolutely spectacular, but I’ve had some bottle variation with these).

But, as always, of course, different people’s palates differ (though on the night no one was overly thrilled with the 08 Selosse the night we had it).