My First Walter Scott Chardonnay

I’ve had a half dozen or so pinot noirs from Walter Scott over the years and always enjoyed them. Well balanced, well made, complex, good wines. There are a good number of good producers in Oregon, though, so I didn’t hop on their list and try their range of offerings. Eventually, I was forced into friendship with Todd and Fu and Carnes and had to hear about how “wow” the chardonnays were. Eventually, all of inFUencer’s high praise, seconded and thirded as it was, forced my hand. As he might say, “people question it, but it keeps happening.”

I picked up a sixer of chards on Berserkerday. Two nights ago Jorge pops a Cuvee Anne and is singing some praises. So last night I pop a 2019 Freedom Hill:

2019 Walter Scott Freedom Hill Vineyard Chardonnay - really expressive nose of flint and unbuttered sea salt popcorn, with a beautiful balance of orchard fruit and lemon citrus. Complex, with waves of fruit flavors backed by savory flinty, smoke, and popcorn notes, with just a hint of ginger spice faint on the back end. It reminds me of extraordinary BdB champagne, but in a vibrant and compelling still wine. It triggered a vivid memory of sitting at grailey’s a decade ago and tasting a generously shared glass of 2002 Leflaive Batard Montrachet. Density and fruit concentration, but that freshness from citrus, the popcorn nose and gorgeous length. 95-96 range.

Needless to say, I was wowed. I get the fuss. I would have guessed GC white burgundy in a blind tasting.

I have had my socks knocked off recently by this and Tan Fruit. Really great stuff coming out of Oregon, which has to be making the United States’ best chardonnay.

10 Likes

I really enjoy all the unique expressions of Chardonnay coming out of Oregon, all a bit different but all in my wheelhouse. From the lithe elegance of Morgen Long, to the balanced in between of Goodfellows, the powerhouse Walter Scotts, and the old school chablis like Championship Bottles - there’s a little bit for everyone if you’re into the lower alcohol expression of chardonnay.

2 Likes

WB needs more KJJ tasting notes. I have spoken.

1 Like

They’re all in the champagne and gin threads, things I probably drink too much of, but don’t drink as often as I’d like.

If you liked their Freedom Hill, I’d highly recommend checking out either (or both) of their Seven Springs and X-Novo bottlings.

Particularly '19 X-Novo!

John, if you don’t have any, I can bring some next time I’m visiting Ella

Had a bottle of the 2016 X-Novo at Tarbell’s in Phoenix and it was excellent, will try to get on the list!

They participate in BerserkerDay as well…just sayin’

Oh I’d very much like some X-Novo

Great winery and people-their tastings are great!

Mailing list futures offers came out today. Get it before its gone. Not surprising prices are up again this year. X-novo up to $100, Cuvee Anne now $55 and everything else is 80$. My order is in.

Sean

Just signed up for the wait list…very excited to try!

I cancelled my Wolfpack membership a few months ago. Was $115/month to the door. Ripping good deal compared to what prices seem to be now.

1 Like