TRINK: The Wines of Franconia

Interesting article in TRINK (author not identified):
TRINK:Franconia Wines
about the growing interest in the German region of Franconia.

They characterize it as Germany’s most underrated wine…to which I would agree. They identify Silvaner as one of the great wines from Franconia…to which I would also agree.

I almost never see any wines from Franconia…but when I do I buy them. One of the problems is that many Franconia wines are bttld in the Bocksbeutel (which I like that it’s named after a ram’s scrotum). For those folks who bitch about fitting the Turley or SQN btls in their wine racks, wait’ll you try to shelve a Bocksbeutel!!

Anyway…an interesting article & I wish we would see more Franconia wines in the USofA.
Tom

2 Likes

Weltner did bottlings of his Riesling, Scheurebe and Silvaner in “normal” bottles for Fass Selections. Screw caps as well!

I am always on the lookout for Franken wines as well, especially Silvaner.

Maybe it’s just me, but is it only the older Franken estates (Juliusspital, Burgerspital, Wirsching, Fürstlich Castell’Sches Domänenamt, Staatlicher Hofkeller Würzburg) that are continuing to use the bockbeutel? Along with Weltner, most of the top Franken estates that are not centuries-old use more “normal” bottles. Seems like some Taubertal producers also use the Bocksbeutel.

Lyle Fass doesn’t ship to MA last time I checked, so I’ve only had one Riesling from Weltner, which was quite nice. I’m sure that their Silvaner is excellent, but have no frame of reference for Franken Scheurebe during climate change - not that I’m expecting anything comparable to what HGS made back in the day.

Loved the 2020 Weltner scheurebe I got through Lyle. Ordered more and awaiting the riesling and silvaner to arrive.

The Leipold silvaners, offered through Source Material, are excellent as well (and not in bocksbeutel).