TN: Arcadian Clos Pepe 2013 and Marc Colin La Fontenotte 2015

I had another Marc Colin St-Aubin La Fontenotte today and it showed almost identical to the one I had on September 2021 :

2015 Marc Colin et Fils Saint-Aubin La Fontenotte Blanc - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Saint-Aubin (5/18/2022)
Pretty much aligned to the last one in 2021. More pear than citrus, hay, minerality and a hint of spices. The palate is nicely balanced on ripe fruit, acidity, minerality and salinity on the finish. Good concentration and judicious use of wood. Good stuff and if oxidation doesn’t hit too soon this will still live for a while yet (5+ years).

And, I cracked my first Arcadian from the last Joe Davis cellar release. This is my second Clos Pepe only (I had the 2011 in 2020). This 2013 is more fruit forward and less structured than the 2011. But on both of these vintages I’m thinking I drank them too early. Don’t get me wrong, they are still a pleasure to drink but am I wrong in thinking those bottles could go 20 years after vintage before they hit their peak and plateau? Good stuff.

2013 Arcadian Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/18/2022)
Uncorked 2 hours ahead, no other special treatment (no sediment).

Very ripe nose: black cherry, blackberry and blackcurrant, rosebuds, sweet spices and a little bit of shrubbery. The palate starts on sweet fruit but it gains balance when the acidity hits on the mid-palate. Fine tannins providing a little lift. It finishes on a nice sweet-savory combo of dark berries and salinity. It’s a tad ripe for me at this point but still delicious. This should keep aging nicely and improve for my palate. I only have one left and I’m looking at 5+ years to open it (maybe 10 years, if I can keep it that long)

3 Likes

That Arcadian has a lot of runway before it. Thanks for the checkin. [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

I just checked my notes on the '05 Clos Pepe from Arcadian, Phil: It wasn’t until a bottle in 2021 when I felt it had finally opened to a point where I was no longer calling it closed/tight. Not sure if that means anything re: the '13, but perhaps something to think about.

2 Likes