2020 Carter

The offering letter says that there wasn’t any smoke taint, and I believe them, but is this just a vintage to pass on? Thanks for any thoughts…

Passing

I lost interest when Mike Smith left.

Same

It’s an interesting question, in that 2020 Napa discussion is so focused on is there smoke taint or not, but I haven’t really heard anything about how good the vintage is, and what style it is, aside from the presence or absence of smoke taint.

3 Likes

The OWCs make nice planters, but passing on most all CA 2020’s.

Has anyone tasted them? Their wines never disappoint.

Regardless, personally, I will likely pass. Currently phasing out Cali Cabs and going heavy on Burgundy and Vintage Champ.

1 Like

Hard decision here… may need to get over to Napa to try these to see what’s what.

I have been a buyer for a long time. I’m on the fence. I was recently up in Napa and a few week prior to heading up, I reached out to Dan for a possible barrel tasting and never heard back. I wanted to check out new winemaker and smoke taint. Lack of response makes me lean towards a NO buy.

1 Like

Have been a buyer and my friends more than I. Im kinda trying to wind down all purchases as Im starting to feel over inventoried for my projected lifespan. We are hoping to make it to Napa next month and a stop by would defintely be on our list. If I make it by I’ll report back

1 Like

Thanks all

That’s unlike Dan, I’d reach out again.

I agree, Dan has always been very responsive.

1 Like

I just received a call from Dan out of the blue. He had heard from this board that I had reached out and never heard back. He was apologetic and somehow missed my email. He offered for me me to come up and taste the wines and said that the 2020 wines were quite good and possibly on par with 2016’s. I hadn’t planned on getting up to Napa anytime soon, but may try and get up there next week to check them out. Regardless, wanted to pass along the excellent customer service of Dan and Carter Cellars. If I make it up there, I will report back on my thoughts on the 2020’s.

1 Like

Russell Bevan winemaker now?

Yes.

Anyone know why Mike left and why Russell joined? I like both styles but it will be interesting to taste the difference.

I’d call it creative differences. Russel and Mike seem somewhat similar stylistically, and the Carter team is very strong so I still expect this to be a very good label. Also allows Mike ultimate control over To Kalon and a couple other vineyards as he makes them under his own labels. Excited to see what that looks like.

Mike made the ‘20s, Russell blended and bottled them.

Oh last time I was there, they said 19 was the last year that Mike did that. I thought the Jesus looking guy blended them. He was a great guy.

1 Like