Beaucastel 1990 -- a nice surprise!

Last week a friend and I decided to revisit the 1990 Beaucastel (blind for him). I have had this maybe 3-4 times previously, and have always loved it, but my last one was maybe ten years ago. The fill and cork looked great, but my durand somehow pushed the cork in – never a good omen – and so I strained and decanted. Pretty cloudy initially and the nose seemed strange to me. Threw off a LOT of sediment. Two hours later something quite lovely emerged! Much more delicate than previous renditions, it was the most burgundian CdP I’ve ever tasted. Probably too precious for the very heavy osso bucco and mushroom risoto, but what the heck (we had a Marchesi di Gresy Martinenga Gaiun 1995 barbaresco as well for that purpose)! Channeling RP, the CdP reminded me of a hypothetical blend of a 1990 Cheval Blanc (elegant spice) and a 1990 Raffault “Les Picasses” chinon (ever so slight rusticity). I drink very little CdP, but it was probably the best I’ve ever had (including plenty of Rayas). (In fairness, I am generally more a fan of mourvedre than grenache.)

PS: The barbaresco (decanted since breakfast) was also delicious – of course in a completely different way!

2 Likes

Thanks for the TN. Lucky you. I drink a lot of Beaucastel and the '90 is among the very best I’ve had. However, at this stage it is quite variable, and the last two I’ve had were tainted or just not what they could be. The 2001 is also a winner, but just beginning to be a bit variable as well. CdP is not bordeaux and after 20 years it can be a bit of a crap shoot in my experience.

I had a 1990 Beaucastel (my only one) last year and it was easily one of the best wines I’ve ever had.

Recently, peeps were talking about the ageworthiness of gamay, especially in big hot ultra-ripe vintages.

We’ve got some 60/40 Grenache/Syrah blend wines from the Languedoc [2015], and I keep wondering what their cellaring curves are gonna look like - can they make it to 2035? 2040? 2045? Or should they be opened by 2025?

I wish that someone with some seriously serious oenophilic/oenophiliac experience could set forth an high quality set of recommendations for aging “table wines” [maybe even distinguishing between “cold” and “hot” vintages in their recommendations].

Otherwise it’s just kinda hit or miss for us neophytes.

Have one of these left, will have to dig it out soon.