TN: 2019 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard (USA, California, Santa Cruz Mountains)

2019 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, Santa Cruz Mountains (5/21/2022)
From 375, popped and poured at cellar temp. I think this might be the finest young Horseshoe yet. Sandalwood, underbrush, tea and black pepper on an intoxicating nose. Quite rich and black fruited on the attack with excellent acidity and a serious tannic backbone that tells you this wine will age for quite a while. Rich, opulent and elegant at the same time.
As an aside, I am torn at the moment on Rhys - I have been on the journey for more than 15 years with them and think the wines continue to improve as the vines mature and the team dials in on each site. But pricing has escalated and I have such a large percentage of my cellar devoted to Rhys that I am ironically cutting back as the wines improve. This bottle was so good it has me reconsidering that stance….

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

The offer for the 750’s of this just hit and I appreciate this early peek from last year! Sounds right up my alley.