1990 Bordeaux-orama

Periodic wine group got together a couple nights ago. Theme was '89 and '90 Bordeaux. Funny thing is everyone brought a '90. That actually turned out to be fun as it allowed us to focus on the vintage. Mr. Y’s food was off the charts great as always.

2009 Bereche & Fils La Cran Ludes 1er Extra Brut
Disgourged Jan 2017. Dosage 3 g/L. Love that they put all that info on the label.
This is a real mouthful. 50-50 Chardonnay and Pinot Noir but to me the pinot dominates. Intensely flavored and minerally. Nice start.

2006 Salon Les Mesnil BdB Brut
I did not expect a Salon to be so rich. The laser beams were set on stun. Very palate filling. The Salon acidity comes on the finish. Nice counterpoint to the Bereche.

First Flight - Pessac and St. Estephe
The assignment of tasting order always comes to me and I honestly struggled with the best way to proceed. I think it worked out just fine. All bottles were in fine form.

1990 Ch. La Mission Haut Brion Pessac-Leognan
This blew everyone away right out of the gate. Classic Haut Brion smoke and stones. A really complete wine early on. But the palate began to fade a bit as the evening wore on.

1990 Ch Montrose St. Estephe
This wine could not have been more different then the LMHB. My #3 wotn. Like the Pichon Baron, I cannot decide if I prefer the '89 over the '90. A great problem to deal with. I have gone through 2 cases of this wine over the years and never had a stinky bottle yet I have heard so much about stinky bottles. The wine gods were looking out for me as well as on this night. A rich lush ripe wine showing leather on a really textured mid-palate and long finish. Great bottle.

Second Flight - Pauillac

1990 Ch. Lynch Bages Pauillac
For some reason I think of Lunch Bags as the working man’s Bordeaux. A tricked-out Ford F-150. Big and solid. Lots of cherry coated pencil lead in the finish.

1990 Ch. Grand-Puy Lacoste Pauillac
This is the only wine of the evening I had no notes on and cannot recall every tasting it. Mr. Y said he thinks a sleeper of a wine and I agree. Even broader in scale then the LB. This may have been a bit of a bruiser in its youth but the substantial tannins are really fine and sweet on the finish. Not sure what the market is these days but highly recommend.

1990 Ch Latour Pauillac
Co-WOTN. Every time I have had a well stored bottle I get blown away. The nose is intense and complex evolving over time in the glass. Perfect balance. Layers upon layers of flavor. Effortless balance. I caught myself closing my eyes every time I put the glass to my nose. Licorice, tobacco and mineral all enveloped on waves of red and dark fruits.

Third Flight - St. Emilion and Pomerol

1990 Ch. Conseilllante Pomerol
Hard follow to the Latour but this was a very good wine on the night and a very good wine on its own.

1990 Chateau Beausejour Duffau Lagarrosse St. Emilion
Tied for WOTN. I recently had a not so great bottle but on this night it was showing everything that this wine has been heralded for over the years. Very exotic and complete.

2001 Ch. d’Yquem Sauternes
Had the 1990 last week and it is fantastic. The 2001 is on a whole other level. One of the best d’Yquems I have ever had.

Great night

5 Likes

Fabulous!

This is certainly a profound, educational, tasting of 1990 Bordeaux.

Love the commitment of ALL your group, very respectful of each other, and the wines were comprehensive on the quality of the wines and this vintage.

The 1990 Beausejour Duffau is one of the great wines of the 20th century!!!

BORDEAUX-ORAMA Rating, 100!

I was wondering what Obama had to do with Bordeaux. [cheers.gif]

Amazing. Legend after legend.

Great notes…I need to drink more '90

Great notes. Was thinking about doing a mini right bank 90 tasting for Memorial Day. Figeac, conseillante and l’evangile.

Kelly - Did you intentionally type lunch bags, or was that auto-correct? I have had it autocorrected a few times but then I heard someone intentionally call it lunch bags, so I’m not sure if that’s a thing.

I never liked Latour 90 as much as you did . My favourites were Montrose , Cheval Blanc and Haut Brion .
Nice tasting Kelly

Then come over!

:wink:

Can’t speak for Kelly, but “Lunch Bags” is a common intentional mispronunciation. My friends in the auction world used to use it a lot. I hate cutsey terms of all sorts, personally - can’t even abide “champers” or “sammich”, especially in writing - but others seem to find these things amusing.

2 Likes

Bring one Thursday!

Awesome tasting! Of these I have only been fortunate enough to try the Montrose and Lynch — and concur unreservedly on both!

Though I do wonder about a “stinky Montrose” issue. Is complaining about barnyard in Montrose not unlike too much lead pencil in your Lafite?

Were these serves as pop and pours, double decanted, or what?

Great notes, Kelly,

Interesting about 1990 GPL. which I own. I understand why you call it “Lunch Bages,” but 2 of the 89’s I’ve drunk I bet could hold their own with any of these.

The GPL was double decanted before arrival. Everything else was decanted on arrival.

I had a great friend who years ago would call Lynch Bages “Lunch Bags”. For some reason I started doing it as well. Yeah it is silly.

As for stinky '90 Montrose, I have heard that many times over the years but never experienced it myself.