TN: NV Sean Thackrey Pleiades XXVI Old Vines (USA, California)

• NV Sean Thackrey Pleiades XXVI Old Vines - USA, California (5/30/2022)
    Sean Thackrey passed early this morning. I opened this in his memory. Pleiades always seemed like the calling card. It has always had a rather confusing history of what it was and where it came from, but edition after edition it always brought complexity and pleasure. The XXVI is no exception, as it blends earthiness and red fruit with a minty streak and spice. It’s glou-glou (chuggable for normal people) while also being engaging. Fine wine indeed but with no frills, no fanfare. Enjoy sailing amongst the stars Sean. We’ll miss you.

Posted from CellarTracker

7 Likes
  • NV Sean Thackrey Pleiades XXVI Old Vines - USA, California (8/8/2023)
    Hard to believe that it's been over a year since Sean Thackrey slipped the surly bonds of Earth. Thankfully we have his wines, though in a steadily dwindling supply. The Pleiades follows a wandering path in my experience, and this wine is taking a road less traveled, with a lighter profile, but no lack of aroma and flavor. More in the strawberry/cranberry vein, there's also an abundance of floral and herbal notes, with a sweet aroma not unlike being near a cotton candy vendor at the county fair. Thankfully there's no aroma from the farm animal barns! Light to medium bodied on the palate, the berry fruit and herbal tones ride on waves of fresh acidity, with just a trace of tannin at the finish. This is drinking very well now, and probably the near term. I would not measure this one in light years.
6 Likes