Is this the world’s most under-appreciated Chablis producer?

Despite limited name recognition and no Grand Cru vineyards, Gilbert Picq makes consistently delicious, structured, mineraled Chablis. I’ve been drinking his wines for decades, and not once have I found an advanced or oxidized bottle. His regional wines drink like PCs and the premiers like GC. They all age beautifully. The prices can’t be beat. I should just STFU and keep it to myself, but I just drank another bottle that makes me want to sing praises aloud.
Cheers,
Warren
97E16E22-9DA6-428B-A2A6-2710492499F2.jpeg

7 Likes

Interest piqued!

2 Likes

Never heard of but will have to check out. Chablis remains our favorite white wine appellation so always on the lookout for new producers

Thanks!

1 Like

A local store has a village and a 1er in stock, I’m going to swing by and Picq up a few to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

If they owned a parcel of Greves it would be a Beaune to Picq.

9 Likes

…very nice wines. In my experience, no pre-mox, lovely purity, and very fairly priced. Not in the same category as Dauvissat, but I buy these wines more regularly than any other Chablis producer(except Dauvissat).

Generally I drink them between 4-10 years in bottle(2013 was the first vintage I bought enough to cellar though, and the wines still drink well).

1 Like

I have always kept them to myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Big fan. I really need to search out more.

I’ve tried a couple (2011 Vaudecorse and 2014 Vaucoupin) so very small sample size - happily drank both wasn’t really wowed by either. I’ll definitely try more as I realize two bottles is nothing but thus far have enjoyed other producer like Louis Michel, Isabelle & Denis Pommier, Patrick Piuze and Laurent Tribut more.

I have not had every Chablis ever made, so I do not know if it is the world’s most, and I do not know how other people feel about it so I do not know how appreciated it is, but I have been buying and appreciating it for over a decade. Two older notes:

• 2007 Gilbert Picq & ses Fils Chablis Dessus La Carriere - France, Burgundy, Chablis (10/11/2014)
    Excellent value Chablis. Beginning to take on positive characteristics of age. In the balance of fruit versus minerals in Chablis, this is tilted a bit towards fruit, but still minerality. Oak? I doubt there is much if any. Either old barrels or stainless steel. (88 pts.)
  • 2007 Gilbert Picq & ses Fils Chablis Dessus La Carriere - France, Burgundy, Chablis (8/10/2013)
    This is a very nice opening level Chablis. Minerals and white grape with a bit of apple. This is not a fruit driven wine. It actually reminds me of some of the minerality and weight of a Meursault, different from the minerality of a higher level chablis, with the oyster shells not being here. The finish is moderate.

The took on weight as it took on air. If you can, give this 30-60 minutes of air in advance.

We bought this at Posner’s annual portfolio tasting a few years ago. Josh Raynolds and my wife both agreed this was the best of the base level Chablis, but there was a question of how it would develop. So far, it’s doing fine. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Yes, keep it to yourself. :stuck_out_tongue:

I really enjoy the wines from Picq, but they’re extremely difficult to source here. I recently bought bottles of 2017 VV and Vaucoupin in Chablis for 22 and 30 Euro, respectively. Would have loved to buy them by the case, but there was only so much room in my luggage.

Yezzir! (although I should say that I am still a little blahhh on the 2019 Village).

2018 Gilbert Picq & ses Fils Chablis - France, Burgundy, Chablis (6/6/2022)
Good! I was a little let down by the 2019 but surprisingly the 2018 shows more zip. Great nose of citrus, white peach and nice sea breeze that gets more prominent the longer it stays in the glass. Good balance, everything is where it should be: good concentration on the forefront followed by nice acidity/minerality and then a touch of sweet fruit with salinity on the finish. For a village, this shows good complexity. Surprised that 2018 shows fresher than 2019. Not sure I would keep this for a long time considering everything is where it should be for my taste. Yum.

1 Like

Absolutely, an excellent & top notch producer!

1 Like

I noticed a quite high rating for this recently from William Kelley. It was noteworthy, since the wine itself was neither Premier or Grand Cru…

1 Like

I’m big on Servin and Louis Michel as the two biggest bang for the buck producers in Chablis but I’ll seek out some Picq for a test drive

2 Likes

Shhh!

2015 Gilbert Picq & ses Fils Chablis Chardonnay
4/28/2019 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 91 points
Burgundy Dinner with the Chevaliers du Tastevin (Chez Mike, East Greenbush, NY): [Pop & pour.] Impressive for a base Chablis. Good richness and acidity. Excellent balance. Eminently drinkable.

2012 Gilbert Picq & ses Fils Chablis 1er Cru Vaucoupin Chardonnay
7/16/2015 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 96 points
White Burgundy Blind: Dead or Alive? (Home of Chef Andrew Plummer, East Greenbush, NY): Light yellow. Big buttery nose. Complex minerals. Young, crisp complex and delicious. Should drink well for at least 5-10 years. My WOTN, which was nice since I brought it! Group #2 WOTN.

1 Like

I just found an old label from Albert PIC & Fils Chablis, probably from the 1970s or early 1980s. I did not keep the vintage label. Kobrand importer. 3/4 of a quart. Maybe Gilbert is the & Fils of Albert. I guess I have been drinking it for longer than I thought.

Nope. Further research indicates that they did not just accidentally lose the Q.

Raoul Gautherin

Served with an old-vine Picqpoul?