TN: 2018 Bodegas Muga Rioja Flor de Muga (Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja)

• 2018 Bodegas Muga Rioja Flor de Muga - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (6/4/2022)
    According to the TWA Luis Gutierrez (great writer BTW) this is 40% Viura / 30% Garancha Blanca / 30% Maturana Blanca. Aged for 3 months on its lees in concrete eggs, and then lightly toasted French oak for 6 mos. Quick thoughts, this is certainly a very high quality white; it does have the richness from the lees and French oak, but there is plenty of back end structure to make this work, an almost creamy acidity, and loads of white florals. A nice subtle white pepper quality is felt mid palate, and very precise on the finish. It doesn’t have the heights of a RlH blanco (nor the oxidative qulaity) but this is still well worth your time to seek out. Oh, I served this in a standard smaller tulip style glass that I use for Rieslings and the like, but I would like to try this again in a burg stem if given the chance. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like