Menagerie of weekend wines

A few from the weekend:

2013 Bibi Graetz Testa matta: 100% Sangiovese I believe. Surprisingly mature in color and on the palate. Floral. Pleasant red fruit, plum, orange zest, rosehip. Good mineral, saline notes. Pretty resolved tannins. Smoke em if you got em. Very pretty label!

2008 Myriad Spring Mountain, cab sauv: Full throttle. Tons of chocolate, espresso and toast notes. Plum, cedar and graphite. Thick and viscous. I don’t really get any mountain terroir from this wine at all. Perhaps that’s not the point.

2018 Craven Cinsaut: Back in my wheel house. Barbera from South Africa. Lower abv but higher energy. Fun, floral, peppery, earthy, salumi, complex notes of red fruit, savory herbs. Violets.

2014 Alain Voge Cornas VV: Really lovely. Great balance and depth but still just a ton of energy. Black fruit, lavender, white pepper. Grilled meats and sage. Just great. Popped and poured.

2010 Sottimano Fausoni Barbaresco: Closed initially, with extended air this was an amazing wine. Lithe, nuanced, again wonderful balance. Great length. Black olive tapenade, amareno cherry, some rhubarb. Generous if not palate coating. Fine tannins. Really enjoyed this wine with a grilled bone in rib eye. [cheers.gif]

2 Likes