TNs: 3 Unable to wrap my head around anymore: Diamond Creek

2006 Diamond Creek - Gravelly Meadow
2006 Diamond Creek - Red Rock Terrace
2006 Diamond Creek - Volcanic Hill

All these had a thin mid palate and were just not what I remember them being years ago.
Prices are high, and I am curious to know if demand still is.
Sad.

Any other fans notice the same?

Mike,

Although I can not speak to new Diamond Creek Wines, some of the older ones are really impressive. I have had a few from the mid 80’s and 70’s and they are still full of life.

I am amazed they can still sell wines via their list as most can be found cheaper via retail after release.

Mike,

We had some of the Gravely Meadows several years ago and it was thin and minerally tasting. Haven’t had any since. [nea.gif]

I haven’t tried any that young, but have had some Red Rock Terrace and Volcanic Hill in the past. Nice, but nothing that convinced me to re-purchase.

Some of the worst QPR in the world.

Related story: Last week, while in Vegas, I met a “dancer” and when I told her I was ITB, she told me that when she was in high school, she and another girl “friend” went “swimming” in one of the lakes on the property of Diamond Creek. They did not realize that a tour was going on…and the tour happened to be walking by.

She got an extra tip for that story.

got to ask if she get “a” extra tip or get just extra tip!

Agreed…Wouldn’t be on my to purchase list. I haven’t bought any recent vintages…but I do have a 89 Gravely Meadow en Mag…I assume that its fairly ready…has anybody tasted it as of recent?

In December with Freak from 750…it was OK at best.

Thats what I figured. I bought it on the cheap. Sounds like a pizza wine.

The other day I had an 05 Von Strasser. Just their regular Diamond Mtn Cab, listed at $54. The supple 05 vintage style took the edge off their usually massive tannins and made it a really nice wine for the price. Would give it 91pts.

Roy, I had a ton of enjoyable mid level priced cans the other day. Some very nice indeed: Hoopes, Burgess, Cornerstone amongst others. All at least that score for me.

In this economy I wonder where DC’s place is these days?
Maybe it’s time to reconsider their game plan and produce wines people may actually not mind spending $175 for.

Roy, being right in the heart of ‘it’ there, I have a question: Do you ever see these ‘old guard’ typle of guys holding court in some local eatery and acting all smug and shyte?
Do you new guys have to kiss their rings to get an audience? [gen_fro.gif]

As I was coming up through the Cal Cab ranks, THIS was the name always cited as one the pinnacles of achievement. The $$ always seemed out of reach, but I was able to taste these three '97s at a NV vintners tasting in 2000. Given the hype, I was shocked how soft and thin these wines were.

Interestingly, through the mid-90s, two other Diamond Mountain producers, von Strasser and Reverie, were also turning out (IMO) nicer wines than they are currently. In addition, another producer, Diamond Terrace, was pouring an '05 Diamond Mountain and an '05 Howell Mountain bottling at Family Winemakers. Both made by TRB, but the difference was amazing. The Howell was stunningly richer and fuller. All of which leads me to the rush-to-judgement conclusion that Diamond Mountain ain’t where it’s at no more.

Interesting observation. [drinkers.gif]

I don’t know what really happened at Diamond Creek…they used to be among the finest cabernets produced in California. The '78s were absolutely stunning and still very alive. The last vintage I purchased was the 1985’s and they are variable…the last great vintage, IMNSHO, was 1984.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

I tasted through the 2005’s at a trade tasting recently, and I was fairly impressed. Very solid wines with good depth and complexity.

Whether they’re worth $175 retail is another question entirely. Not even close, IMO. And certainly not in the style of other wines in that price category, except maybe Opus One or Stag’s Leap Cask 23. Two other overpriced wines, IMO.

Based on their previous track record for ageability, I might be tempted at a price under $100.

Very generous indeed.