Splinter-Cell TNs from MEOW--the Kutch Falstaff Vertical

As I did in my last event of this kind 6 years ago, I will post these “splinter cell” TN notes for those who want concentrated feedback. This is a true vertical, where I am fortunate to have a bottle from every vintage Jamie has made out of this vineyard. Bohan is scheduled for the 2026 version of the event :slight_smile:

2009 Kutch Falstaff PN

As is my practice when I present these tables of Jamie’s (and this is a true vertical, with every vintage he’s ever done here that has been released), I tasted all of these consecutively and without tasting any other wines in between. I believe this may have faded over the day but when I tried it, it might have been my tops of the whole vertical. Baking spices and some dried berry reaches the nuzzie. And on the palate, this is really good. it’s smooth, red berry-centred and it’s tasty and fully defined, with plenty of acid, yet clear development which has occurred. My guess is that there is at least 5-7 years of drinking window here.

2010 Kutch Falstaff PN

Similar to 09 in the nose, a bit more intensity perhaps. A faint idea of smoke, but in a good way. A touch more elegant than the 09 at the front, plenty of activity at the back, raspberry and currant fruit, but on the whole maybe not as harmonious and compelling as the wine before it. Still, a strong effort.

2011 Kutch Falstaff PN

This presents in the bouquet with more earthy and herbs-infused though plenty of red fruit too. I do find this a bit thin and maybe starting to have the fruit dry out. More on the pleasant side here, it was IIRC a difficult vintage.

2012 Kutch Falstaff PN

Ooo-potpourri and strawberry and watermelon (the potpourri is still there 2 days later). Undercurrent of rosemary too. To taste, tangy and tasty, good solid Pinot with still plenty of room to grow. Only emphasized by my 2-days-later taste when the fruit remains quite vibrant–small berry and rhubarb.

2013 Kutch Falstaff PN

Fruit is in the foreground here in the sniffer, crabapple and wild strawberry. Excellent drive, probably early in its drinking window. Tickles the back of the throat with a touch of chickoree.

2014 Kutch Falstaff PN

Bright and slightly sweet red fruit swirls up the glass. Very Jamie to me, energetic–bordering on electric–with wild red fruit and yet a sense of polish at the same time. Really good, probably my second-fave of the lineup

2015 Kutch Falstaff PN

Baking spices are back here, including cinnamon. This is polished as well, but softer here, the fruit is cherry and strawberry and is in the background. It’s more than pleasant, definitely, but demure on the whole.

2016 Kutch Falstaff PN

Slightly darker fruit and some intensity in the aromatics. Palate is tingly and quite delicious–rich tasting, but not feeling fruit. A conversational wine that should get still better.

2017 Kutch Falstaff PN

Some very sweet tobacco here, pretty cherry and strawberry, hint of rhubarb too. Kinetic and tangy on the tongue, raspberry and rhubarb show up here. Quite round and delicious in the back–me like.

2018 Kutch Falstaff PN

Still-emerging bouquet of dark berries with just a dash of earth/cocoa this time. This has plenty of energy as well, very good acid carry but it will need time to integrate the fruit that is hiding inside. May have gotten better over the course of the day.

2019 Kutch Falstaff PN

Hard to judge this early, but seems to be plenty of black and red berry fruit scents percolating with some pomegranate. This is still, of course, a little bit of a wild child dans la bouche. Hints at replays with maybe an edgeing of sweet herbs. Leave 3-4 years, I’d say.

2 Likes