TN: DarrenDelmore PinotNoir CentralCoast '21...(short/boring)

Tried this new release from Darren w/ friends at dinner ystrday:

1. DarrenDelmore PinotNoir CentralCoast (12.5%; WildFrmtd; U; www.DarrenDelmore.com) PasoRobles 2021: Med.dark color; strong black cherry/black cherry cola/PN very perfumed some w-c/Burgundian some smokey/pencilly/oak lovely nose; fairly tart/tangy strong black cherry/PN/black cherry cola strong pencilly/smokey/Fr.oak bit earthy rather Burgundian flavor w/ modest tangy tannins; very long/lingering tart/tangy Burgundian/smokey/oak strong black cherry/PN some complex finish w/ some tangy tannins; needs several yrs; reminds a lot of Calera Pinot but not as rounded/polished like those used to be; quite a lovely rather Burgundian Pinot at a very fair price. $36.00

More piddlepuddle from TheBloodyPulpit:

1. This is the wine from DarrenDelmore, national marketing director for TablasCreekVnyds. He also makes a Syrah that’s quite good. This struck me as his best Pinot yet.
    Tom

Thanks so much for posting on this, Tom. Really interesting to read your note on Darren’s Paso-based PN. I hope to try a vintage soon

Best,

Mike

And in case not everyone knows it, he’s also the author of the wonderful book “Slave to the Vine: Confessions of a Vagabond Cellarhand”.

Yup, Jason. He also has a second book out as well that is a very entertaining read.
Forget the title, though.
Tom

The book (Vagabond) is great and a very fun read.

Tom thanks for posting about my new wines. And everyone for the mention of the books. They are a trilogy in this order - “Slave to the Vine” from Hirsch / “Lucky Country” from Barossa Valley / “Unplanned Parenthood” from Anderson Valley and Oz. Oprah hasn’t called yet!

This new Pinot Noir I call Central Coast - there are three vineyards in here from the south and north end of the mammoth Central Coast AVA. Mostly Bassi Vineyard (SLO Coast AVA), a barrel of Eden Rift from Cienega Valley, and some Deer Ridge Trail Vineyard Pinot from Santa Cruz Mountains (Corralitos area). I’ll have free run vineyard designates of all three sites soon, but the Central Coast is always the brighter, fresher barrels and some pressings. Came out really cool in 2021!

Darren: I believe we visited (mainly about changes in Paso) at the WS Las Vegas tasting. Also…from the Tablas blog…were you the person that did the tasting in an alley in Austin, Tx? That was a funny story.

Yes that is me. Had a tasting appointment at Austin Wine Merchant on a rare frozen Texas day with wind chill in the teens! Nice to meet you in LV.