TN: Two LimerickLane Zins RockyKnoll...(short/boring)

We tried these two at Pig+Fig last week:

1. LimerickLane Zin RockyKnoll/RRV/SonomaCnty (15.2%) 2015: Very dark/near black color; very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/ripe fairly dusty/OV some RRV/peppery fairly complex classic LL nose; bit soft quite dusty/OV intense blackberry/boysenberry/spicy Zin/RRV peppery some toasty/oak w/ modest ripe tannins; very long/lingering soft intense blackberry/boysenberry/ripe Zin rather dusty/OV fairly toasty/oak bit complex finish w/ light ripe tannins; a beautiful classic LL Zin that’s near it peak & tannins nearly resolved; no signs of drying out & should go a few more yrs.

1. LimerickLane Zin RockyKnoll/RRV/SonomaCnty (14.9%) 2016: Very dark/near black color; intense blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/very spicy bit more RRV/black pepper stronger toasty/oak quite dusty/OV some complex nose; bit more tart/tangy intense blackberry/boysenberry more RRV/black pepper quite dusty/OV some toasty/oak less complex flavor w/ ample chewey tannins; very long/lingering intense blackberry/boysenbery/ripe/spicy Zin bit stronger toasty/oak less complex finish w/ some chewey tannins; anothr beautiful/youthful RockyKnoll Zin.

More tottlecurd from TheBloodyPulpit:

1. The RockyKnoll is in the furthermost steep/very rocky block in the NE part of the LL vnyd. This is about the biggest Zin they make at LL. And one of the most expensive.
    Both of these wines were near identical and still fairly youthful. The tannins are nearing resolution, no signs of drying out, and should go another 3-5 yrs.
    Tom

Thanks for these Tom! 2015 was the last vintage I purchased from LL due to pricing and my disappointment with how the wines have aged, and I’ve been trying to get through the last of them as quickly as possible (1910 I opened a few weeks back has definitley lost a step or two). I popped a 15 Rocky Knoll based on your notes, and while it definitley hasn’t ‘declined’…i can’t say that I enjoyed it very much. It was HEAVY on the oak, which is not something that I’ve experienced with a LL before. There was fruit as well but it was muddled and creating an odd mouth-feel with the oak.

I just can’t win with these wines for some reason. I only have a 1023 and an Obsidian Block Petite Sirah left (and a Furmint that im aging for science), and I can’t say that I’m sad about that.