TN: Three Older GramercyCllrs Syrahs...(short/boring)

We tried these three from the Costigan cellar at Pig+Fig last week:

1. GramercyCllrs Syrah Lagniappe/ColumbiaVlly (13.9%; www.GramercyCellars.com) Greg&Pam Harrington/WallaWalla 2008: Very dark/near black color; strong Syrah/blackberry/boysenberry/ripe slight Rhonish/w-c/roasted some smokey/toasty/oak bit WashState/plummy somewhat complex nose; fairly tart strong toasty/smokey/oak bit WashState/plummy/grapey strong blackberry/Syrah/spicy bit Rhonish/w-c/roasted some complex flavor w/ modest chewey tannins; very long/lingering fairly smokey/toasty/Fr.oak strong blackberry/Syrah/plummy/spicy structured finish w/ some strong tannins; a strong WashState/plummy Syrah w/ lots of oak; still pretty youthful & will needs a bit more age to resolve the tannins; a lovely WashState rather Rhonish Syrah.
    $45.00 (vSC)

1. GramercyCllrs Syrah WallaWallaVlly (13.9%) 2009: Much the same in aromatics & on the palate; a bit more structured/angular/tannic w/ bit more toasty/oak; fairly Rhonish/w-c/roasted/espresso flavor; needs more age yet. $45.00 (vSC)

1. GramercyCllrs Syrah WallaWallaVlly (13%) 2011: Much less Syrah fruit & seems a bit tight/closed; somewhat strong blackberry/plummy/WashState Syrah nose; rather hard/structured/angular strong plummy/blackberry/WashState flavor w/ ample tannins; needs lots more age but not sure it’s going to really evolve into something great. $45.00 (vSC)

More birkentripe from TheBloodyPulpit:

1. Gramercy is the wnry of Greg & Pam Harrington. He was a MasterSomm in Manhattan & moved to WashState to start Gramercy in 2005. I liked the two older Syrahs, though them pretty Rhonish/roasted in character a surprisingly young.
    Tom

Thanks for these notes. I don’t have any of these specific wines, but it affirms my own sense that many WA wines, including the syrahs, need (or can benefit from) ten plus years of bottle age.

Why do people write ‘short/boring’ in their titles?

Well, Chris…I only know of one InterNet idiot that does that. You should probably ignore what he has to say. [snort.gif]

The (short/boring) & (long/boring) goes back to the early days of the InterNet.
Way back in those early days, it was traditional to put in your title (long) if it was a long post and the download time could be lengthy.
As a warning to readers that it might take awhile to download. Especially when you had to use a USB cable to connect your cuneiform tablet where
you took your TN’s to the USB port conecting to the Internet. It got a bit faster when you could connect your punched card reader directly to
the InterNet via your USB port. But, still, the download times could still be lengthy.
So it was all a courtesy to people reading the InterNet BB posts that it might take awhile to download.
In my case, it is also a courtesy to people reading these InterNet BB posts that the content might be (boring) and they’d fall asleep
at their screens reading those posts.
Hope that explains it all to you, Chris!! It’s just a matter of courtesy to your fan base!! Thousands & thousands in my case.
Tom

1 Like

While you’re ELI5ing, would you mind explaining what w-c and c-c is? I see it in your syrah notes from time to time but can’t put it together. Thanks!

Thanks for the notes. Lovely syrah coming out of Gramercy that is (near) polar opposite of the 100-point non-afwe Washington syrah. I was disappointed that their library releases last winter didn’t go back further.

Glad to say I missed out on those days. Got it now, thanks!

Well, Chris… I go way back.
Like to the last vacuum tube computer. The IBM 650. When it got cold in the computer room, you could go back & snuggle up to the mainframe to keep warm!!
When you’d first connect up to the InterNet, you would dial up to this number and put the handset into a phone cradle connected to your typewriter terminal. No WiFi or iPhone connectivity.
If you wanted to talk wine w/ friends, you signed onto the UseGroup alt.food.wine. I still have wine friends here on WB I first met on alt.food.wine. Alas… many of them are now dead.
Heck… I’m probably the only person in the universe who can still use the LL3 scale on a slide rule. And the Cadillac of slide rules was the Post. Still have it.
And my first hand calculator was an HP-25. That’s a Hewlett-Packard.
The good ole days?? Don’t think so.
Tom

1 Like

You could tell how fast your modem connected by listening to the tones. First one I remember was 300 baud, slow enough that you could keep up if you listed all the lines in a file.

-Al

Either marketing genius or setting up to under promise/over deliver.

Also, in answer to a previous question, “w-c” means whole cluster, and “c-c” mean cold climate.

1 Like