Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Chop - Wine Pairing?

I have no idea how to pair this. I could guess at the prosciutto or pork chop individually but together I’m stumped. Red or white? No idea where to go

1 Like

R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Viña Gravonia, or R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Reserva Viña Tondonia

1 Like

Are you baking it? Doing it in a pan? If there are some pan juices, reds could work – like a Lopez de Heredia red.

An aged Nebbiolo, as in something from Produttori di Barbaresco, with 25+ cellar years.

I don’t know. That’s the description on the menu

I should add, I only own American/New World wines

In a restaurant, I would guess this will have some kind of pan drippings, probably with butter. Just a hunch. I bet a restrained pinot would work as well as various whites.

1 Like

I think most reds would be friendly with that dish and not knowing what herbs/spices they put on it makes it fine-tuning a match sort of a challenge. I’d think the odds are very much in your favor with a good fruit forward red such as a zin, syrah, or young cab blend. I’d pick what I want to drink and not sweat the match.

I often go with Pinot with pork chops. With the prosciutto I would make sure it’s not too fruit forward but more mineral and acidic. I find Sojourn PNs are great food wines, Sangiacomo, Gap’s Crown, Reuling. Goodfellow with some age.

For me, this is a no brainer call for barolo. I love young barolo with prosciutto (one of my favorite wine pairings) and older barolo with pork loin. +1 on the comment you will be happy with many pairings suggested here.

1 Like

Here are a couple of recipes, each of which seems like it would go well with a lighter, not too rich/fruity pinot (or a classical Rioja!). In all of these, the prosciutto will end up somewhat crisped, and you should have pan juices, so it’s more red-friendly that, say, a plain pork chop:

Pan-cooked:

Brined and grilled: Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Chops Recipe

Grilled or stove-top: Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Chop

A really good Oregon Pinot Noir would be nice. Maybe one of Marcus’

An over the top, barrel fermented Chardonnay - I’m not much for prosciutto with red wines at all - and pork can be a touch salty, give me a butter bath -

Went with a Pinot, thanks for all the suggestions

What did you think of the pairing, Steve?

Off-dry to sweet Riesling.

Classically, you could have gone with a Wehlener Sonnenuhr from JJ Prum, but apparently the house style has changed, and I don’t know what it tastes like these days.

If your guests don’t like stickies, then look for a quality “Halbtrocken”.

Back in the day, Spreitzer used to make a dynamite Halbtrocken.

Names like VomBoden & Falkenstein & Peter Lauer seem to appear and disappear in the USA market, almost like apparitions, which I would take to mean that off-dry Riesling must be a tough tough sell for the importers.

I suppose you could just walk into your local trendy wine store, and ask them if they have a quality off-dry Riesling.

It worked well. I went with a 2010 Marcassin Blue Slide. I just moved Friday and have limited access to
My wines

1 Like

My #1 choice would be a fruitier rose Champagne, if they’ve got one.

No question, this is made for Riesling. I’d probably go with a Kabinett or Spatlese, depending on the way the dish was prepared and age of the wine.

1 Like

Just so you know, Peter Lauer is imported by vom Boden, which seems to do quite well with the wines, especially halbtrocken, in the US market. I broker the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein. We sell a large amount of off-dry Riesling to various US importers.

Unfortunately the pork chop was hammered! Way overdone, bone dry with no taste. Very disappointing especially considering it was. Jean George restaurant