Aussie riesling

Looking for recs for new Aussie rieslings to try out. Grosset Polish Hill is of course the benchmark, but have quite liked Frankland Estate and Pewsey Vale in the past as well.

Leeuwin Estate, Kilikanoon, Penfolds Bin 61 off top of my head.

1 Like

Here is a good selection by Erin Larkin in 2 parts. Not many of these make their way over here, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Great videos – thanks Adam. And it really is a shame that the breadth isn’t here.

1 Like

Some you may be able to get over there:

Jim Barry, Henschke, Rieslingfreak, Petaluma.

IIRC Adrian, you are not a fan of dry Riesling, which most of the benchmark aussies are (except for The old Leo Buring rieslings, but good luck finding them here). If you’re looking for pradikat style risking a you should probably cross the pond and look at some of the kiwi Rieslings. Happy to provide a list if you’re interested. K&L is the best source.

I’ve changed my stance since – have finally started hone in on what I actually disliked about dry riesling, which was the heavy Austrian style and the overly austere Mosel ones that I had been exposed to. The few dry Australian rieslings I’ve had have been very convincing, especially Grosset’s Polish Hill, which is in my mind a benchmark riesling.

I have enjoyed Best’s rieslings, small sample size and all that.

What I’ve had so far from Mount Horrocks and Plantagenet has been impressive in very limited experience. Grosset’s Alea was also excellent the one time I’ve had it - unlike their Polish Hill, it’s off-dry tasting.

Nick O’Leary from Canberra region is excellent
Possibly the best Riesling IMO is Crawford River from Henty, but definitely can be quite stern. The Young Vines is a bit more open. Possibly rather difficult to procure.
For QPR, Riesling Freak (any of their Clare & Eden Valley wines), Tim Adams, Pikes Merle, Jim Barry, Vickery, Kirrihill, Leo Buring and O’Leary Walker.
For some more funky style, KT wines from Clare Valley.