TNs: '16 Francesco Rinaldi Barolo, '09 Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Kabinett

DINNER AT FORMA - (24/6/2022)

Got to try Forma and glad to say it didn’t disappoint. We had all seven pastas among four people and it was perfect in terms of portion size. Standouts for me were the two heavier pastas that were served last (the Pappardelle and the Orecchiette), followed by the first pair of the Linguine al Limone (very interesting) and the tortellini which is apparently the crowd favourite. Corkage was one-for-one, too bad the Burlotto Monvigliero was sold out so we had the Rinaldi instead.

• 2009 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    First time trying this producer and this was terrific. Petroleum on the nose, fruit profile was very attractive with clean and precise citrus fruit especially on the entry. Ripe but not overly heavy for a Kabinett, restrained with good acidity for a warm vintage, long finish. Great value. (92 pts.)
  • 2016 Francesco Rinaldi e Figli Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Better on pop and pour, fruit was more evident before the wall of tannins took over. Slightly funky and rustic with blood and some gamey notes. Traditional Barolo that needs a lot more time. (89 pts.)

Thanks for the notes. Have seen the Francesco Rinaldis around a bit, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Sounds like there may be better options.

I haven’t been super-impressed with the ones I have gotten from Garagiste. I’d look elsewhere and not get fooled by Rinaldi in the name.

2 Likes