TN: Bodegas Zarate Albariño, 2021

I first tasted this ‘base’ Zarate Albarino bottling about six months ago at the Ceviche restaurant in St Petersburg, FL. That bottle, from the 2020 vintage, was energetic, citrusly delightful, and danced impressively with a delicious ceviche and a variety of Tapas partners. The wine pleased us a lot, and I made a mental note about getting more bottles (mental notes for me are increasingly precarious).
I managed to recall this mental note just in time for our Boston area summer enjoyment. So I grabbed a 2021 bottle for a test drive. I opened it this evening as we were dining out in the backyard. At first sip, the wine seemed a bit subdued, but with prominent and piercing lime fruit in a light bodied frame. However, as it warmed in the glass, the fruit opened nicely and the wine became more appealing to me in every facet, except temperature. (A cold wine just feels good sometimes!) Fruit and flowers: lime over lemon; hummingbird flowers - scent and flower ‘nectar’. A solid wine! A winner of an ‘every day / any day’ wine. As a bonus, subsequent glasses straight from the fridge showed a notable opening up compared to the ‘first sip’ impression, so I was able to enjoy the more complex and appealing ‘open’ taste palette at fridge-cold temperatures. Ain’t life generous sometimes!

Recommended.
DCD5CC9E-DF8C-4BBC-B8A1-C9B6735977B2.jpeg

1 Like

I’ve had the 2017 and 2018 of this one and I concur, very nice Albariño and great QPR. The 2017 especially showing nice acidity and plenty of salinity.

Nice note, Jim.
I am not too familiar with Zarate, but we had the Tras da Vina bottling last week and it was excellent. Pretty intense stuff that seems like it could age a while.

Nice note and I share your enthusiasm for these wines. Also don’t hesitate if you see some of their small production higher level bottlings in either the “Balado” or the single vineyard “Tras da Vina” as Dennis mentioned above as there is a lot of extra nuance for the roughly doubling in price.

1 Like

Definitely. Even the basic Zarate is a good candidate for some cellaring, but Balado, Palomar and Tras da Viña are definitely ageworthy. Especially Tras da Viña definitely calls for aging, because it can be a bit lactic and excessively woody upon release.

1 Like