Two American favorites with bottle age

2011 Domaine Eden Chardonnay - My houseguest and I went to Chuck and Bonnie’s for lobster dinner. We had a rose and a red I import, and this. All three were excellent, but this was my favorite.
Too dark to see the color, but the aromas were fresh, featuring Macintosh apple, white spice and the telltale touch of conifer. A hint of hazelnut was the only indicator of age. The palate was moderately rich, the roundness also an indicator of age. The apples were in the forefront, now with a hint of pear and the spice accentuated. The balance and harmony are excellent, the finish lasts over half a minute. Rated 92. This is fully mature, but in no danger of going over the hill.

2004 Patricia Green Pinot Noir, Yamhill County Estate - We returned home and opened this, sitting on the back porch and watching the fireworks from Indian Rest… she said the combination was almost perfect.
Again, couldn’t see the color. Again, the aromas were fresh, but not quite as fresh. There was more black cherry than red, an autumnal sense that had to do with both age and sous-bois. I’ve always found that Patricia Green Pinots are clearly Oregonian, but develop Burgundian nuances with bottle age, which is one more reason to love them. The palate is light to medium in body, the texture a little wiry, nice in an intro-level wine at 18 years. There’s a little spiciness, possibly a hint of sage, this is a terrific showing, great as an early summer nightcap. Rated 92, fully mature, drink up.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like