Gear and loafing in Seattle. Fixed!

I recently got to hang out at a Hi Fi Show in Seattle and had some unicorn experiences regarding WB and wine.

1. We took up a selection of Williams Selyem wines…I wanted people to be able to see how the line has evolved over the past couple decades.

Then, an innocent bystander happened by…he was with his buddy who was into Hi Fi and they just happened to stroll into our room. As we chatted, he said he liked wine and we offered to pour him some. I asked him what wines he liked and before seeing the wine room he replied, “Williams Selyem!”

Party was on!

I asked him to pick where to begin and he chose the 2005 Allen because that’s his favorite vineyard. He proceeded to say that, in fact, he likes Williams Selyem so much, he got this…

It’s his only tattoo and he said the tattoo artist told him he was the first wine related tattoo he’d ever been asked to do. It gets my vote for coolest tattoo of the year!

The 2005 was tasting quite good that day, solid secondary fruit notes, not overtly fruit first, with nice accompanying notes. (I have a phobia of pouring flawed wines in many situations, so this worked out fine.)

We toasted and played tunes (the new One Step pressing of Kind of Blue and then a compilation album called "Stay Awake’) and I took it upon myself to designate him as an honorary Berserker and told him to join us here.

We hit the 1996 Olivet so he could taste a Burt made wine, and then sensibly paused the festivities, as he was his friend’s driver for the day. (The 1996 was still in fine fiddle, I would say a classic exemplar of the winery and grape. Still a touch of primary fruit and long lingering finish, “cool” on the palate…well balanced.)

1. Our 'mascot wines were by that fabulous Berserker member winery Stereophonic. How could they not be!

A big hit was the Stereophonic Blue Desert Alabrino. Its a crowd pleaser, with bright and happy fruit, great acid balance, and a nice long happy finish.

The visitor who liked it most took pics and here he is enjoying the wine…(this is a fabulous hot weather wine, but good anytime.)

1. Best for last?

I had the chance to pop corks with the inimitable Chuck Miller!

He brought a unicorn bucket list wine for my life: 2006 Chateau Rayas Chateauneuf-du-Pape Reserve.

I think this baby does it all. It had mature flavors, some dark sour cherry, complexity forever…I worked hard to etch it into my brain.

We tasted it with a 2006 Kapscandy cabernet and a 2011 Kapscandy Roberta’s Reserve. Obviously a different league from the Rayas, but the 2006 seemed ready to party and I like the Roberta’s because it is not so simply identified as a merlot by many tasters. (My wife guess cabernet when served a blind taste.)

Chuck also brought some cool vinyl and I cherished sipping with him while listening to ''Low Spark of High Heeled Boys."

I learned that I should plan wine time separate from show duties, because I didn’t get the full joy of sitting for a prolonged period with a fellow Berserker and just doing wine talk. Next time I will do a better job!

(The gear talk will be over in Asylum.)

Well, a smidge of gear…

4 Likes

Huh?

EDIT: Ahh, Anton added a post.

Impressive!!!

Anton, sorry to miss you at the audio show. If you are around this week, I’d love to have you over and pour some wines.

Deer and Boating in Minneapolis….

F81C51AF-4C0F-4C00-9B9D-EE0E858F03E6.jpeg

I think he’s hanging with Miron right now.

Beer and Bloating in Milwaukee?

I am back home now, but thanks!

I’m hoping to do the show again next year!

I’m not much of a tat guy, but that’s a good one, great idea.

I love this story.

I could not believe the number of wines that Anton brought for a 3 day show! That, plus what looked like a full bar! And his willingness to open anything he had for anyone that showed an interest in a specific bottle, like the W-S guy. A true Berserker!

It was such fun to finally meet Anton and his lovely bride Katie. His joy and passion for both wine and hi-fi were on full display. Next time he comes up he will have to set aside an evening for dinner, wine and music at my house.

If I had known about the Rayas, I would have abandoned my daughter and the grandkids and let my son-in-law do the grilling. A preview of the rest of the line-up may have torn me away even without the Rayas.

Wow - killer stuff! I was out of town this weekend and bummed to miss this. Next time!

Anton, not only am I flattered to have the wines shared in such a splendid setting, I’m totally envious of all who attended. Thank you so much! Jason

Great story and details. Thank you for sharing!

Nice line up. Used to be quite a few high end hifi stores along Roosevelt Way between Ravenna Blvd. and 65th St in Seattle. Alas most of them have closed by there is still a few.