TN: 2005 Vietti Langhe Nebbiolo Perbacco

2005 Vietti Langhe Nebbiolo Perbacco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (4/10/2010)
Robust nose of dark red fruit, sweet licorice, and milk chocolate. Smooth, silky in the mouth with soft but present tannins. Long tasty finish of chocolate-covered sour cherries. Should drink well for the next 8-10 years.(91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice scores on CT for such an inexpensive wine…I wish I could find some good Piedmont like that.

Steve, this is not a hard wine to find. The 07 is under $20. Devin at the Spirit Shoppe has it for $17. Tell him Ken sent you!

Where the hell is that? If it’s on the east coast it will cost more to ship than the wine is worth.

Fussy! You can buy the 06 in Oregon for $23 at Vinopolis Wine Shop or for $24 in California at several places.

Ken,

Vine Republic has the '06 for $20. Have you had that one, and if so, similar profile?

Nebbiolo has become my favorite grape. I wish I had bought these wines years ago. Would love to find wines like this, in the <$30ish range to stock up on them.

Steve M, I have not had the 06 or 07, but both are supposed to be good. It’s a blend of lesser vineyards and young vines from their crus, so it tends to be pretty consistent. I don’t know Vine Republic in Mountinside, NJ, but they are listing the 06 for $20.

Thanks for the note. I have one of these standing by.

Hi,

Information here http://www.vietti.com/pagine/eng/vini_vietti_wines/09_nebbiolo_perbacco/vietti_nebbiolo_perbacco_anno2005.lasso" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ciao
Birger

Thanks for the look Ken. Been letting a couple sleep and glad there’s no rush.
Where does Vietti fall on the Traditionalist/Modernist scale? Fine Barbera QPR resource as well IMHO.

RT

They mix it up a bit. I would say they lean to the traditionalist side, but use some modern techniques. They use different approaches for different wines. Look through the descriptions on their website, e.g. “Lazzarito …is our most modern interpretation of Barolo.”

The 2005 Perbaco was “moved into barriques for 10 months, and then transferred in oak cask for other 16 months. Few months in steel tanks until the bottling” but I don’t detect any strong signs of oak. I suspect these were pretty old barriques.