TN: 2005 Scherrer OMV Zinfandel

My first Scherrer, thanks to some enablers on this BB. [berserker.gif]

The wine is semi-transparent and somewhat Pinot-like in color (a big PN). Beautiful aromas of red fruits and briar, this is my kind of Zin. On the palate a wonderful mélange of red fruit and spicy briar tones with something I have never detected in a Zin…cranberry/rhubarb streak -nice touch, adds complexity. Another noteworthy aspect is a strong mineral streak in the mid-palate which gives this wine some distinction. This is a great Zin (could call it elegant) and would pair well with food or just to quaff. Great Zin for those looking for more refinement than power.

Bob, what a fantastic Scherrer to be your first! The '05 OMV Zinfandel is simply fantastic right now! What you have described in your notes is spot on with my experiences as well, particularly the mineral component in the midpalate. He’s got another called Shale Terrace which is even more on the delicate side (for zinfandel), and has a larger dose of minerality (according to Fred), but this never seemed to be the case for me. I have always gone back to the OMV Zinfandel, as it is amazingly complex and enjoyable with food and without. I’ve had only one inconsistent bottle out of probably 15 consumed.

Ha we must be palate bros. I have never sensed that mineral streak in a Zin before…I like it. I am all over the 09 futures. I now a have a mini-vertical of Scherrer OMV Zins (05-08). In fact Fred sent me the 06 in error so he is sending the 04 gratis (I told him not to) as that was what I had ordered. I have his Cab and Chard to try also.

Be SURE to tell Fred what you liked, and he will help guide you (quite accurately, I might add) to what else you should consider picking up.

Now you’re hooked! Fantastic wine; one of my favorite zins…

Fred has to IMHO rank in the top 10 of winemakers in the country. Having followed this talented young man from his 10 or so years with Tom Dehlinger to his first vintage of his own he has not only provided me with countless hours of intense gratification but the pleasure of his company both on his turf and mine. He has a way with ALL red-skinned fruit that puts all of his reds as killer bottles in my cellar. Remember the first vintage of his cabernet made from the fruit from Dads’ vineyard (believe it was the 98). It had been opened for 1 week in his warehouse and was uncorked. Great juice and I’ve been a believer and buyer ever since. So again if I was starting a cellar I’d buy every bottle from this feller as I could afford. Jes me 2cents. Verne B

Bob - So glad you liked it. We need to find a time to get together and do a Scherrer dinner. If you like his Zin, I think you will also love his pinot and syrah…

… and don’t forget excellent Fred’s cabs!

And all this time I thought I was the #1 Fred pimp on this Board!

Well said Verne!

Love to see the love for Scherrer for both personal and professional reasons. Full disclosure: I am part of Fred’s distribution team in Chicago, so I am biased, but coming to know Fred and his family over the past few years has been a pleasure.

As a result of our conversations at the winery and here in Chicago, I started filming him and others talking wine and winemaking. Sounds like many of you might be interested in see the results. Our goal is to capture information on wine, more than to sell anything in particular. Here are the videos we have done:

Ask a Winemaker - YouTube" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, I was able to work with Fred during the 06 harvest and compiled a series of pages on how he makes Chardonnay. That is here : http://candidwines.com/howtomakechardonnay.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally, if any of you are in Chicago or Ohio, know that Fred is coming out May 6-12th. Here in Chicago, we are doing a dinner at Naha with a run of his wines, including a few library Chards. http://candidwines.com/scherreratnaha.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damien

This is a rocking wine. Stocked up again on it at the recent open house.

Sounds good. I have a couple of Cabs to try also.

Can’t believe with everything I’ve had, I’ve never had a Scherrer. [popcorn.gif]

I had a 2006 Timbervine Syrah last night. Great stuff, and they (Scherrer) are selling it at $20/bottle right now, which is an excellent value IMO.