TN: 2002 Gros Frere et Sœur Clos Vougeot Musigni

2002 Gros Frere et Sœur Clos Vougeot Musigni

Had this the other night. No formal notes

Great aromatics with burgundian nose black and red fruits, earth, and some spice. The palate lived up to the nose. Seductive black and red fruit, well balanced, long finish. Still young but very nice…

Burgundy novice here. Could you explain the “Musigni” in Clos Vougeot? Is it just a parcel of the vineyard? I’ve seen this before and was always curious. Thanks.

Thanks, I have a couple of these. Nice to hear.

It’s the part of Clos Vougeot that borders Musigny. If anyone besides Gros Frere bottles a wine from there, I’ve never seen it designated as such, though.

many of the Burg vineyards are broken into smaller lieux dits, if you will–look at Tardy’s section of Clos Vougeot Grande Maupertuis or Jayer-Gilles’ Echezeaux du Dessus, for example. They’re sometimes named on the bottles, but usually not . . .
alan

This is what I assumed but the difference in spelling also complicates the matter. Thank you both for the clarification.

As far as I know it’s only Gros Freres that has Musigni, due to their vines location within Vougeot. Clive Coates Wines of Burg has a good map in it with each producers location of vines. Interesting to see the haves vs. have-nots in terms of slope & location close to either Musigny as with Gros Freres Musigni or on the upslope near Grands Echezeaux with Grand Maupertuis used by the other Gros’ (Anne & Michel) or Tardy.

Has already been answered above:
“Musigni” (monopole of Gros Freres et Soeur) is the Clos-Vougeot parcel west (uphill) and partially north of the Chateau de Clos-Vougeot that borders the GC Musigny (Petits-Musigny), property of Comte de Vogüé … note the “i” versus the “y” !

Question on the Gros Frere et Soeur vougeot bottlings — it seems that they now have both a Musigni labeled vougeot and a regular vougeot Bottling. Anyone know what is up with that?

Sorry to resurrect old threads!

I had this wine a few years ago. Was rather oaky and blocky, glad that it had come around.

Alan. Super nice note. I adore this wine. It is just now getting into the sexy aromatics zone. These are pretty heavily oaked when young as Kent notes. They do take some time. When they come around they are beautiful. I have some from 2006 and 2014 that are still sitting around.

Hope we can get together soon. Miles needs to be a little older. Cheers.

just thinking the same thing. best to all

his note was from 2010.

That’s why the world needs lawyers - read the fine print!!!

Incidentally have a bottle of 02 Gros F & S Richebourg tucked away - anyone have experience with it in teh last few years??