Riedel Sommelier Bourdeaux - Need Input

This is hands down my favorite glass but alas, I lost my third one in 14 months last night.

Do I bite the bullet and go for version 4.0 or is there something else available that is comparable at less cost?

have you looked at the vinum xl series? it seems very similar and should not be as expensive…

I recommend you check out the Ravenscroft Bordeaux Grand Cru glass. It’s almost indistinguishable in both size and shape it’s just much lighter (lead free).

I’d personally say go for it… but be more careful with the next ones. :slight_smile: I’ve never broken a Sommelier glass in using them for ~3 years (both Bordeaux and Burgundy). Good thing, too, cause I may not replace them if I had either. :slight_smile: My every day glass for Bordeaux (and many other things) is a Riedel Vinum Extreme Cabernet/Merlot glass. I was shocked after I tried the Sommelier Bordeaux glass and thought that I would actually score a couple of wines at least a point higher in the Sommelier glass. I waited for my wife to get home, at which time I had her shut her eyes, and I handled the glass, having her smell then taste the identical wine in both glasses (even if she saw the glasses she wouldn’t have known which was which, or whether it even mattered). I was amazed how her comments were identical to my unblind comments. She appreciated the softer nose of the Sommelier glass, and perhaps most shocking of all, the palate even seemed smoother. That still makes NO sense to me at all, since once I put it on my tongue I splash it around my mouth for seconds, so I have no idea why it’d taste better, but experiment after experiment it does. Anyway, my wife literally thought I gave her two different wines… but they were identical.

However… I got mine from a crazy guy on craigslist. I saw the posting for 1 Burgundy Grand Cru, 1 Bordeaux Grand Cru, and 1 Montrachet glass (the set) for $120. I offered $100. When I arrived he actually had another set he sold me for $45… so that worked out to be $25 a glass. So yeah, they probably “fell off of a truck”, but I’m not complaining… I didn’t ask where they came from, but he had the original boxes and full paperwork.

David

[cheers.gif]

Vinum XL is VERY similar, just machine made and has the attachment notch at the top of the stem onto the bowl as opposed to smooth. Almost the exact same height and bowl dimensions and the thinness of the glass feels the same to me. (although that may be bad in your case if you are having breakage issues)

Chris

Those are the rules at our house as well. I did break one while trying to wash and talk on the phone at the same time, expensive lesson.

Schott Zwiesel Enoteca Bordeaux

I have a pair of the Somm. Bordeaux that I purchased in a similar fashion to David Paris (about $25 a stem). Have not broken one yet. However, when I do, I will probably look to Movia. This line of glassware is produced by Rogaška, Slovenia’s foremost producer of crystal. I cam across these glasses at Mario Batali’s Carnevino in Las Vegas. I walked out of the the restaurant with one (I was coming right back) and almost got tackled by the manager. My research suggests they are $50/stem.

I’ve been using the Vinium XL for a year now and only have broken one and that was definately from careleass handling. Same bowls as the Somms but the stems are about 4xs as durable plus they cost 1/2 as much. VB

I use the Nachtmann series by Riedel, both Bordeaux and Burgundy Sommelier series. Side by side there is little difference expect price. I usually find them at TJ Maxx and Marshall’s for around $3-$5!

I had the same problem, I broke a number of Sommelier stems. I then tried the Riedel Virtis glasses and have been very impressed with them and I love them now. Wouldn’t think of using another glass, although I do own a couple of Vinum XL’s.