Family Winemakers highlights - Pasadena march 17th.

Too many people and wines to take notes so I’ll just post a few impressions. First, I was amazed to see so many average wines that were overpriced. Many just didn’t stand out from the next, but there were some goodies. Here are just a few stand outs.

I’ve never tried Cabot’s wines before, boy what was I thinking. The cooler Humbolt climate produces wines right up my alley. The Syrah’s were all excellant, even the inexpensive one. And the “bacon fat” was even better on day 2, all one glass of what was left…but worth that last glass, thanks John!! I will be buying some of their wines for sure. Cabot and Outpost probably had the best overall line up of wines being poured, others only had maybe one, if that.

The Outpost line was also great, loved the Grenache and Zin. The cab was a tad disappointing from what I was expecting.

Inman’s Rose was great…to bad there is almost none of this left to buy.

Lone Madrone was also pouring some really nice whites that had good character and balance.

The 1995 Myacamus Cab was awsome…Then I heard the wholesale price and thought they were trying to sell some Bordeaux [wow.gif]

Dinner at Bistro 45 after was the best though. We closed the place and figured it was time to leave when they started turning off the lights in the joint…and it wasn’t that late, the party poopers [drinks.gif] But the food was good and the company even better. Thanks for a great evening all [good.gif]

While Paul Lin was covering Pinots, I worked the Cabs. My favs (in no particular order) were:

06 Parallel CS Estate
06 Ramey CS Pedrigal Vnyd
'04 Corison CS Kronos Vnyd
'05 Diamond Terrace CS Howell Mtn
'02 Freemark Abbey CS Sycamore Vnyd
'06 Joseph Family CS
'05 Lail CS
'04 Ladera CS Lone Cyn Vnyd
'06 Outpost CS True Vnyd
'05 Andrew Geoffrey CS
'06 Cabot Aria’s Syrah
'07 Carlisle Papa’s Vnyd Syrah

Was I supposed to cover just Pinot? Oops! [blush2.gif] I was kinda all over the map this time around.

Kimberly and I had a great time. It was nice to meet you guys- Andy, Greg, Paul, Eric, Dave, and Wes Hagen. Dinner was very nice- Damon is an outstanding chef.
It is nice to be back home. Thanks for the good times.
John

Goood to hear you did well at the event John. Great to meet you and Kimberly. Corey let me run around at the end to taste a bit.

In no specific order:

• Littorai wines were nice especially the Cerise and Hirsch.
  • Big Basin - the big '06 Syrahs were complex, structured, <14 alcohol.
  • '95 Mayacamus was super!
  • Inman Family Pinot Gris was spot on…but you already know that.
  • Mike Officer’s wines were super. The '07 Carlisle Dry Creek Syrah was my fav for it’s herb spice nose.
  • ‘07 Merry Edwards’ Sauvignon Blanc was pretty exciting.
  • '06 La Fenetre Tete Brulee Cab, 100% Mt Veeder. Easily Josh’s best effort. Really well crafted.

Wine of the day goes to the:

'08 Clos Pepe Rose - Perhaps the best domestic Rose I’ve ever tasted. Acid for miles, elegant tart raspberry. My kind-o-rose. Will work for CP Rose…

Thanks for all the notes; sorry I did not get there this year.
My kid was there pouring for Sarah’s Vineyard and wandering around.
Did anybody try those wines? [shrug.gif] I have heard “mixed” comments although
hopefully, her friend, the new winemaker will improve things. I used to drink the chards in the early 80’s but they seemed to have fallen off the map of late.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

I’ll post my highlights for the event overall, Del Mar and Pasadena combined. This is really a great event for those who have never been. I highly recommend trying to get there next year. Too many small production wineries there both ery well known with full mailing lists and those brand new looking to get their wines in front of people and everything in between.

Highlights/Very Best wines:
2007 Big Basin Pinot Noir Brancifort Ridge - Terrific wine that could get lost in the excellent 2007 vintage. Very worthy of attention though
2006 Cabot Syrah Aria’s - Cool climate Syrah lovers rejoice. No fruit bomb, great aromatics, very good acidity without tartness
2008 Clos Pepe Rose’ - Very expressive but not kool aid
2006 Howell Mountain Vineyards Zinfandel Black Sears Vineyard - Tightly wound, balanced, concentrated. Zin made to be a great wine instead of just a bomb
2005 Howell Mountain Vineyards Zinfandel Beatty Ranch Vineyard - Packed and peppery. Broader than the Black Sears
2003 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon - Terrific old school Cab
1995 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon - What the 03 hopes to be one day. Many years ahead of this one also.
2006 Outpost Cabernet True Vineyard - Made in a big style but with the concentration to handle the oak. Complex.

More wines and wineries performing very well
2005 Arcadian Chardonnay Sleepy Hollow
2004 Arcadian Westerly Syrah
2006 Big Basin Syrah Rattlesnake Rock - well really Bradley’s whole lineup is good

• Cain Winery - Especially the Concept and NV5(2004/2005 blend)
    2007 Calera Viognier - Never had this one before, very impressed by a grape that rarely does so in California
    2007 Carlisle Syrah Dry Creek Valley
    2007 Clos Pepe Pinot Noir
    2006 Coral Mustang Rose’ - Tempranillo!
    2004 Corsion Cabernet Kronos
  • Corte Riva - Big concentrated thick style but some complexity and a lack of sweetness keep them from being flat
    2005 Darm’s Lane Cabernet Sauvignon Bon Passe Vineyard
  • Fiddlehead Sauv Blanc and Pinot Noir - but you knew that. Didn’t write down the vintages.
    2004 Lagier Meredith Syrah
    2007 Larkmead Sauvignon Blanc
    2005 Larkmead Meadowlark - Cab/Syrah blend
    2008 Littorai Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
    2005 Nickel & Nickel Cabernet Vogt Vineyard
    2003 Mayacamas Chardonnay
  • Outpost - Very cool of them to pour 5 of their wines at both events with a full mailing list. Both Petits, Cabs and the Zin were winners.
    2006 Pisoni Estate Pinot Noir
    2006 Ramey Cabernet Annum
    Ramey Chardonnay Ritchie Vineyard - Didn’t get the vintage but this stood out from the Hyde and Hudson being more pure and less oaked up.
    2006 Rocca Family Bad Boy Red
    2004 St. Supery Elu
    2008 Tablas Creek Rose’
    2006 Tablas Creek Mouvedre
    2006 Talley Chardonnay Oliver’s
    2006 Bishop’s Peak Cabernet - $22
    2005 Thompkin Couchart

New Wineries to watch:

• Rancho Arroyo Grande - Somewhere further back in the valley from Talley. Brand new project on some previously existing vineyards, some of which have very low yields and will be turned over to new vines. They are also sourcing fruit from nearby. I liked their 2007 Mouvedre but since they are only getting a 1/4 ton/acre that will be replanted soon. They seem pretty serious and were pouring several wines and a couple of barrel samples. Hope to visit and see what they hae in store.

-Darms Lane - As noted above this was a real nice Cab bridging an older style and a more oak driven style very well. Only a little over 400 cases made. From Oak Knoll I believe they told me that their fruit was being bought by another winery which was unable to so they made some themselves and did a tremendous job. Not sure if it will be the same going forward but keep an eye out.

• Cabot - Friend of the board and great people to boot. But they also make very good Syrah. Cool climate styled without being fruit forward and tasting oaked up. A couple different styles also. If you get the chance try them out.