TN: Cali-Pinot tasting with Tom Hanks

movies.
Last week, I hosted a blind tasting of Cali-Pinots. The focus was on 2007 Pinot but I threw in one 2008 just for funsies.
Each wine was opened about 3 hours in advance of pouring, the bottles put into a brown bag, and the names of Tom Hanks’ movies written on the paper bags. Each wine had about 3 hours of slow oxidation – no decanting.
The use of the names of Tom Hanks’ movies was to add to the discussion. It makes for more fun when you start saying “Philadelphia has an earthy elegance to it while Big is too youthful and exuberant.” Then people start asking about Splash, Sleepless in Seattle, and even Turner and Hooch.

So here are the wines, and my notes:

Bonfire of the Vanities – Great Book; horrible movie - - This was a big wine, rich and full bodied. Got grapes? Ripe grapes! A hint of sweetness. A luxurious wine that was delicious. This was a crowd favorite. Kosta Browne – 2007 Kanzler Vineyard Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir

Philadelphia – Great movie; excellent performances by Hanks, Washington and even Banderas in a smaller role. This too was a rich and full bodied wine with an elegance and grace to it to support the richeness of the wine. Wonderful berries and smooth tannins and vanilla finish. Kutch 2007 McDougal Vineyard Sonoma Coast Pinot noir

Apollo 13 – Another excellent movie. The wine was a bit fruity and sweet but carried it well with balance and grace. When tasted side by side, it was the one calling you back for more. Perhaps a wine to sip rather than drink. Alluring and charming. This caught the attention of many in the tasting group, eliciting comments such as “where can I get some?” Black Kite – 2007 Stony Terrace

Forrest Gump – Classic movie but one I found boring. The wine was a glass of fresh crushed raspberries – elegant and light. The finish was a bit short but all in all, a tasty wine. This tasted much better with some Vermont Cheddar cheese. Alesia – 2007 Green Valley Pinot Noir

Big – A fun movie. The wine was you and shows some ‘irrational exuberance’. Not quite all together but there is a depth and power underneath. Somewhat disjointed at this stage but showing promise. A touch of heat on the finish. Some loved this wine; others rated it low. Kistler – 2008 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir

A League of Their Own – Madonna, Geena Davis, Tom Hanks. Great movie. I was kidded when my eyes seemed to sparkle at the mention of Geena Davis. The wine – the earthy component of this wine was the most memorable. Nice dried cherry and raisins. Soft, well-integrated tannins. The dried fruit was a bit much. This was one that tasted much better the next day. Sojourn – 2007 Alder Springs Vineyard, Mendocino County Pinot Noir

It is great to taste wines in a blind format and to confirm that everyone has a different palate and preferences and they are all right as to which is the best wine for them.

Nice lineup there. Curious, was the KB a favorite due to the forward nature of it or was it really drinking well? I’m a big fan of KB’s ‘K’ wines but in that lineup, not sure. Good notes on the Black Kite, I really dig that wine.

I think the KB showed well because of the richness of fruit. It was well structured, balanced.
I think the Alesia and Sojourn did not show as well only in comparison with the KB and Black Kite. When the bags came off, and one could taste the wine with a bite of cheese or a slice of salami, perceptions and comments on the wines changed. That is what can be so fun about blind tastings.
When the bags came off, the bottle of Black Kite was empty. That was a delicious wine.

T.

What I really want is a “Bachelor Party” wine!