Mailing lists for a new collector

I am interested in what mailing lists a new collector should consider joining? I am particularly interested in PN, Chardonnay, and Rhone Varietals though I would also like to cellar some Cabs. Last caveat I prefer wines that are $50 and under. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

If you like Rhone varieties, you might quite like some of the Syrah from Washington State, and if so I would wholeheartedly recommend Bob Betz’s wines. Depending upon what market you are in, you may be more likely to find the wine in a restaurant than a retail store.

Novy/Siduri fits your needs perfectly.

Excellent choice. Check out Scherrer as well.

Dehlinger and Tablas Creek.

None at first.

Taste widely and zero in on what you like (regions, styles, producers, vintages)- When you like something, buy 3-12 to stash a way.

If you find something that you love (and they have a list)- sign up.

Ignore mailing lists if you’re new. Buy and try a lot of things that you’re interested in first. For example the Betz wines are generally available as are Novy and Siduri I believe. For Rhones varietals, try wines not only from hermitage and cote rotie, but from crozes hermitage, St Joseph and Gigondas. Try Pinots from Oregon, from Russian River, from Anderson Valley, from the Central Coast. Oh and Burgundy. try Rivers Marie, Littorai, and more. Do a search here are there’s a lot of info on good wines from various regions from the varietals you mentioned

There’s a LOT of wine out there under $50 - try to get a bead on what you like in the varietals the you’re interested before you stock away a bunch of mailing list wines. I’ve nothing against mailing lists, but people tend to fetishize being on them and it’s easy to end up with a cellar of impressive sounding labels that you might not like.

If I were starting to collect over again I’d spend a year or two doing trying as wide a variety of things as I could and only buy and cellar the things that knocked me out. Once I had more of a bead on what I loved, I’d start to focus. For example, saying you love Pinot Noir is still kind of broad - do you like Brian Loring’s style? A Russian river style? Volnays from Burgundy? Those are all very different. Same with Chardonnay - Kistler and Dauvissat are very different wines though both are Chardonnay.

Totally agree with Scherrer and Dehlinger. You mite also see if Swan has any room on his list. Sounds as if you’ve been drinking long enough to have narrowed the types and varietals you prefer. All of the above make superior juice that ages like Moses. VB

You might consider working with a retailer who can get to know your palate and suggest things for you to try. They can put together a mixed case for you and then you are only married to one bottle of any one thing. If you find something you like, then you can always purchase more from the retailer, or research the winery and establish a mailing list relationship. If you want recommendations of retailers here in Napa Valley who fit the bill, email me and we can discuss offline.

Rivers-Marie

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve already got some Scherrer and have also enjoyed some Tensley Syrahs. I have signed up for some of the lists that have been suggested and hope to have the opportunity to purchase.

Jaffurs and Denner for rhone.

On they types of styles I like, I can say I have really enjoyed the Scherrer (both Russian River and Sonoma Coast) as well as Sojourn. I also had a couple of AP Vin bottles that I really enjoyed. I can’t say I have ever had a Burgundy. On the Rhone varietals I have been enjoying Tensley, Jaffurs, and I don’t think I have ever had a Chateneuf that I did not love though I can’t remember any names other than E. Guigal.

A big second to what Rick says. One of the biggest mistakes I made when I got into wine was being on too many mailing lists. THis resulted in my having a narrow and deep collection, and as I tasted more (and my tastes evolved), realized that I ended up with too many bottles of the same wine that I probably would not have purchased, or at least not purchased in the quantities that mailing lists can lead to.

Of course, you try them first (give the guy some credit). Add Swan to the list.

Core makes very tasty stuff, mostly from Rhone grape varieties, all under $50.

Taste widely and determine for yourself what you like. Asking what you should buy like this is less than useful. “Collecting” wines when you don’t what producers fit your taste profile is (to put it bluntly) a waste of money.

For your criteria, you should definitely check out Siduri/Novy, Stefania, Tercero, Anthill Farms, Ojai, and Peay. And sign up for the Carlisle wait list now.

Take some of the suggestions you’re getting here and check if any are available on WineBid. That way you can pick up a couple of bottles with a few years of age on them and see how you like them.

the folks who say not to sign up for any are missing one very critical point. many of these lists may take years to get on. sign up for these. by the time you get on, hopefully you’ve had a few bottles and you can make your decision from there. imho waiting a few years to try something great and rare and THEN signing up and waiting even longer would really suck!

some to consider:

rhys
rochioli
marcassin
sine qua non
scarecrow
rivers marie (not too long a wait i’d imagine)

some of these are obviously much longer than others, but you get the idea.