Aren't there other omnivores out there?

It seems that battle lines are being drawn. Everyone is either a “slut lover” or “AFE”.

Aren’t there others out there who (depending on the situation) enjoy Carlisle, Saxum and LWC … AND Chambolle, Reisling and Rhys?

Guilty as charged.

I draw the line on a wine when I NEED a sip of water (or even BEER!) afterwards just to get the goop off my tongue. Where does that put me?

A true slut starts off with no make up. And when you’re finished with the full-blown slut, it’s pretty much on your pillow-case anyway!

Love my virgins and my sluts for different purposes.

I’d say I’d have a pretty expansive range to enjoy wines ranging all the way from big, powerful wines through the spectrum to lighter, nuanced ones. That doesn’t mean I like every style that falls into these categories, though - I can like wines as big as they come but wines that taste like stewed fruit to me really test my limits. To me, good is good, in all of its many possible permutations.

That’s me. I like many styles though I still want what I call balance and complexity. I just think a big wine can be balanced which for some is a non-starter. Some nights I just want a good drink. Sometimes I want something to match my food.

I think I drink very broadly geographically but not as broadly stylistically. At some point you figure out what you like and what you don’t like, don’t you?

I can usually appreciate any wine that is true to a specific terroir in a specific vintage. I have no interest in leaner Pinot or Cab from California, nor in California-style wines from Burgundy (I’m looking at you, Lucien Le Moine). Some good Napa-style wine comes out of Bordeaux in warm vintages also, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

A good topic…let’s be honest, you can like Miles and Metallica, you can like burgers and Beluga, why can’t you like Shiraz and Chinon?

here here! [snort.gif]

My tastes vary. Just as I enjoy tasting different foods, I enjoy different varietals and styles of wine.

“A good topic…let’s be honest, you can like Miles and Metallica,”

Straw man: there are also untold legions of crappy Miles and Metallica wannabe / knockoffs that just SUCK even if you like both of the real deals.

You can like both Miles and Metallica, but you probably can’t like both Beethoven and Britney.

Also, if Mollydooker is good, why isn’t Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot (which has MUCH better QPR)?

[rofl.gif]

Look at the responses here when I post a positive TN on a big Cali Cab or Aussie Shiraz. “YOU drink this?” If I like subtle, mature Nebbiolo, I can’t like big Cali Cab?

The 4 most dominant grape varieties in my cellar are Nebbiolo, Cabernet, Petite Sirah, and Syrah. After that comes . . . Riesling.

Ken, BIG isn’t the problem. Lack of acidity and general goopiness is…

It is when you’re on a deserted island with a high ball and some rocks! And a straw.

Guilty. I drink all over the globe, all styles. Maybe it’s my background in retail, where I charged myself with serving my clients’ palates. More likely, I like variety. Not that I drink all wines - I am not a big Mollydooker fan, but I drink a fair amount of Shiraz (and have for 20 years). Similarly, I love Burgundy, but there are certain producers I enjoy (as a rule) less than others

It depends on my mood. Sometimes a super fruit forward, “modern” but not overblown, Rhone-blend wine, or Merlot hits the spot. Easy to enjoy and doesn’t need five minutes of swirling and slurping to ponder its mysteries. Generally though, those wines are in my daily-drinker price range. I can’t see myself spending $50-80 on a bottle of Kosta Browne or $200+ on a bottle of SQN.

I like my sluts with balance and finesse.

What was the question again?