TN: 1996 Château Lagrange St. Julien (France, Bordeaux, Médo

• 1996 Château Lagrange St. Julien - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (5/28/2010)
    Beautiful expressive coffee, cedar, spice and flint on the nose. Palate is much less powerful, light to medium bodied, with solid cherry and cassis, a fantastic cigar box/spice note, and a touch of tobacco leaf. Medium length finish with cherry/licorice, lots of cedar wood and a touch of mocha. Some dry tannins on the finish. Medium weight and complexity, and well made. Lacks some “umph” in the mid palate, but is a very good enjoyable bdx, probably near or approaching peak.
    After a few hours open, smoothed out some with the oak flavors integrating a little more. Didn’t gain complexity, but became a more “complete” wine. (95 point nose though) (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I just brought a bottle of the 02 home from the locker. I’ll report back.

Jason

Serge-i-poo have you had your nose in the vinegar early today? QUOTE:(96 was one of my favorite wines from the vintage) VB [snort.gif]

Thanx for the note. I have a bottle of this that I will open sooner rather than later based on your evaluation.

The GL should start peaking in 5-8 and the Calon in 3-5. No big hurry on either. Opened a GL in Feb and tho tasty as the blazes left it in bottle opened in the cellar for 18 hours and it came together. Of course these are IMHO. VB

Thanks for the note; really should start opening some of my 1996s (including Lagrange).