Favorite Style of Napa Cab???

Favorite style of Napa Cab???

• 100% Napa Cab Modern Day Fruit Bomb with 14+++% Alcohol.
  • 100% Napa Cab Old School Austere 12.5-13.5% Alcohol.
  • Napa BDX Blend Modern Day Fruit Bomb with 14+++% Alcohol.
  • Napa BDX Blend Old School Austere 12.5-13.5% Alcohol.

0 voters

Which style of Napa Cab (or Napa BDX blend) would you like to drink most often? Assume each is well crafted and is a new release (2-5 years old).

I think you are confusing alcohol levels with style. deadhorse

Honestly, unless it’s been RO’ed, I haven’t tasted many (read any) “Fruit Bomb Cabs” that are not (minimally) “claimed” 13.5% alcohol or more. Although I can say that I have indeed tasted some Austere 14+% Napa Cabs. So maybe thats the confusion. I’m just trying to see what the “average Napa Cab lover” is looking for these days.

I’m not worried so much about higher alcohol with napa. I’m just looking for the wines that is balanced and has more to it than just fruit.

I prefer Napa cab in the affordable style. I’m also a fan of Sasquatch, the tooth fairy, and intelligent design.

[rofl.gif] – Good one!

Why do you think the world of Napa Cab breaks down so simply?

And what does Bordeaux have to do with Napa cab, since most Bordeaux are blends that may not even include cab?

Hi Bernard - Let me know what other styles of Napa cab you’d like me to include in this poll. True, many BDX are merlot based not Cab based depending on the region. But for the sake of this poll I was inferring Cab based Napa BDX blends.

My favorite is Heitz Martha’s, old-school but I doubt ever described as “austere.”

I prefer either of the “old school/austere” styles hands down…wines like the Montelena Estate and Dominus estate bottlings. Wines like Shafer HSS just dont do it for me.

I’ve been all about Diamond Creek from the early 1980s. Sublime.

Flawed poll.

These is no box to check for high(er) alcohol wines that are not fruit bombs in the true sense of the term and that pull off a balancing act of perfection.

Schrader et al.

I like Napa Cab that tastes good but since I’m always willing to give my opinion, even when I have none, I chose the last option.

Yeah, I don’t understand the “austere” characterization. How about “normal”?

I think you are confusing alcohol levels with style.

What’s the difference? Over 13.5% isn’t “natural” and under is. And natural means high (i.e. correct, acidity) and low (i.e. correct, sugar) and enough (i.e. correct, vegetal notes) and hell, why waste the time. Alcohol more than 13.5 means it’s spoofilated. That means Joe Dressner wouldn’t sell it. That means it’s shit wine.

It’s really easy once you get the hang of it.

Over 14% alcohol. Still, is old school.

That is old school.

I can get you (I think) some REAL old school stuff. “Bonny’s Vineyard,” fomerly of Silver Oak “Bonny’s” and made by the last winemaker before the family sold (the son), makes 250 cases of stuff around 13.2% alcohol and it is like a trip back to 1985, if you like that style. Lemme know, as I know Bonny well.

Austere = Simple style (not a negative description at all). “Normal” if you wish.

I never felt like alcohol had a whole lot to do with style. I’ve had some high alcohol wines that are phenomenally balanced. Likewise, I’ve had some 13 % wines that feel quite hot. I equate “classic Napa” more with the fruit profile and whether a wine is balanced than simply high alcohol.

Personally, when I’m going to California, I generally enjoy a more modern, fruit forward style. I can get plenty of balanced, more subtle wines from Italy at a third the price. Cabernet Sauvignon is a beast by nature … so if that’s what you’re specializing in, give it it’s head and let it run wild.

While Valley Floor fruit can be velvety smooth and seductive as hell, I personally prefer hillside fruit as I feel it brings a greater range of flavors.
As hillside alcohol levels can also range, I am not voting in this poll.