TN - 2007 Wndy Oaks SCM Pinot Estate Cuvee

With spare ribs. In a word:

How enlightening

blahblah

A pairing I wouldn’t have chosen…and I 'm a WOE slut from the get-go. [snort.gif]

Sorry – encouraging nose with bright fruits. Watery and uninspiring. A mere shadow of what I expected. Hopefully its just dumb right now. On the upside, the bottle was pretty.

Jay,

I really thought we had similar taste, but I would have never described a WO as watery unless it was drank along side a KB.

Just took the last slug from my glass to be sure, and its just one dimensional and flat. “Watery” is the first word that comes to mind.

I’ve had WO wines with all types of food and the one way I’ve found to describe their pinot as watery/boring/flat is if it’s paired with a super strong, spicy food or food items with an acidic sauce. But this would apply to most all pinots except for the Marcassins/Kosta Browne/etc…

Could be me. Just opened a bottle of the 2008 Roessler Bluejay PN. I’m getting “meh” on that, too. I think maybe I should disqualify myself from TNs tonight. Not sure what’s happening with my palate.

+1

I’ve had many WOs and never found them “watery.” Light colored? Yes. Vibrant in the glass? Yes. Nicely concentrated fruit? Yes. Expressive of place? Yes. Minerality? Yes. Watery? No.

Am I batting .500 now?

.667, actually. The 05 WOE was fantastic, but we drank that at Antico Pizza, and I was too muddled by the time I got home to draft a TN. Based on the feedback here, I’m suspecting it might be me. I drank this over 90 minutes, and got watery hints of pinot with every sip. I was expecting a “wham,” but got none here.

[cheers.gif] 2005 is nice now.

definitely me – wife is raving about the Roessler, and I’m still at “meh.” Sorry guys - sounds like you should disregard this TN

One factor might be aeration time…I have found that all of Windy Oaks’ wines need at least an hour of air time before they really show their stuff. This is remarkably consistent across all their wines.