Ch Montelena Estate cab

I just love this producer. Have they made a lousy – or even a substandard – wine since the early 90s? I know they had the TCA scare (I have had no more problems with them than anyone else), but every year they seem to make a delicious, distinctive wine. I have a bunch, but not enough. Drinking a 1999 right now and for a CA cab vintage I do not much like, this is just a gorgeous, singular, deeply expressive wine. I wish I had more.

+1

With all the hoop-la that the wine press creates in annointing new champions of the Napa Valley, some of us tend to forget some wineries that have been solid for years and years. There are many others, but here are four:

Chateau Montelena
Whitehall Lane
Merryvale
Joseph Phelps

Al Braunstein, Warren Winarski, Donn Chappellett and Charlie Wagner might rap your knucles. VB

[scratch.gif] Huh? Not sure what you mean.

These are certainly names that deserve to be added to that list as well.

Al Braunstein is the first to go over the $100 per bottle mark and start the Cali Cab price inflation, IMO. He will not get off the hook so easily.

If I had only one Napa Cab to buy, most vintages it would be Montelena. As with most good wines, I would say its most redeeming quality is its overall balance, even in ripe or under-ripe years.

Sorry Randy but my distorted SOH showing up. You certainly made the point I was trying to make.
And Harry C Al and Boots were/are close friends and as Al told me on his pricing/quality" I make from 2500 to 4000 bottles from the 4 vineyards a year. Lafite, Margaux, Latour, Et. Allmake around 40000 and I feel my wines are their equal in most vintages and superior in some. I knowI’ll lose some of the loyal fans of Diamond Creek but there are loads of new fans who are willing to pay the price for my wines. After all, It IS a business". He was rite. I dropped off the futures list but still stayedat their home and then at the new digs built over the winery till I quit going to Napa 4-6 times a year 5 years ago.I believe Charles took the Sp Selection over the 100 mark before Al and maybe even Warrens Cask 23 was the earliest. VB

I agree about Montelena. As constant as the Northern Star.

I agree. My general impression of Montelena is of consistent good quality and over-all exceptional balance. Has always been one of my top 3 favorite Napa cabs.

Also to clarify my position I’ve been an ardent fan of the Barretts since their early 70s’ product. However the aforementioned producers have bottled some formidable juice since the early 70s’ also. Caymus, DC, Stags, and Chappellett have all made and are still making some great wines. Have never been a band-wagon jumper so have missed the SEs’, Harlans, etc., but have drank their offerings over the years and they have been very neat but have been putoff by the insanity of their pricing. Also Whitehall, Phelps, Merryvale, B.V, Heitz, Viader, Flora Springs, K Kennedy, Shafer, Hess, Bob Craig,Dehlinger,Beringer, Burgess and Mondavi have all found their place in my cellar. A few of the newcomers that make IMHO outstanding wine are Anderson Conn, Judds’ Hill, Lewelling, Corison, and Paul Hobbs. I apologise for any of the other fine producers I may have overlookes but think I’ve made my point… Some bodacious juice is made in Calif and has been since the 70s. VB