My potatoes are corked

I just opened a bag of red potatoes and was overwhelmed with the odor of TCA.

That was unexpected.

Did you try dipping Saran wrap in them? [wink.gif]

I bet it was from the baggage rather than the potatoes but I’m sure it could be them as well. Depends on how either items were cleaned.

Wow, on a similar note my wife and I just had to throw out a liter of EVOO that seemed to have brett. Plasticy band aid smell and taste have no place in olive oil!

wow

For those who aren’t sure what ‘corked’ smells like, I usually suggest getting a package of mini carrots from the store and notice the smell upon opening . . . and the same is often the case with prepacked apple slices.

Cheers.

I recall reading about the corked baby carrots in the epicurian forum. Someone seemed to think it had something to do with the chemicals they wash them in. Maybe your potatoes saw a chemical rinse as well. I have no clue what ruined my olive oil.

Larry, exactly. “Baby” carrots are notorious for TCA. They make a great example of corkiness if you need one.

Those prepared carrots are often rinsed in lightly chlorinated water, creating TCA opportunity.

Larry… prepacked apple slices?? yeah… it’s hard slicing those apples yourself… neener

They won’t let Larry have a knife these days. For his own protection you understand.

You know, somehow that makes sense…LOL [berserker.gif]

So you read the Asimov thread on ebob as well?!?!??!?!

I admit that my kids, when they were younger and me more naive, used to get ‘happy meals’ with prepackaged apples (I figured this was better than fries [wow.gif] ). Upon opening, the smell was similar to that of prepacked baby carrots . . . . .

Carry on [cheers.gif]

Ive gotten it from carrots too

Berry,

Did you make it down to Pinot Days?!?!? If so, I missed you this time round . . . bummer.

Cheers!

No, I needed to stay home and help with the baby. Sorry to have missed you.

A ballgag (oral restraining device) is not the same as a knife.

Peter,

Ready for round two??!!?

Did you attempt to return them to the grocery store only to be told:

" a lot of people mistake the term corked on potatoes for something naturally occurring like sulfur, while some may find this to be a flaw, it really isn’t something we can provide a refund for. The trouble is, people hear terms like corked when they don’t know what it really means. At our store, we are shocked if there are more than a handful or corked potatoes a year. Many potatoes, especially reds just need to open up. I’ll refund you this time, because you come in a lot, but we need to be careful about it in the future."

Nicely done [cheers.gif]

had a corked bottle of water once in a restaurant–it was so distinctive. Both the sommelier and I had never experienced that. The wine was fine, though!
alan